Carapils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions on carapils use. I have gotten into the habit of using it whenever I brew an IPA or a pale ale, because in one of my first AG brews, it had a thin mouth feel. So since then I've just always been in the habit. When do people say its necessary vs unnecessary? I don't like to use above maybe 5% crystal malt in my IPAs, and i usually do about 4% carapils. Now I've read that some even classify carapils as a crystal malt when building their recipes???

I seldom use carapils, but I also use mostly UK yeast, which is lower attenuating than, say, WLP001. I do not like thin beers, and as such don't usually use 2 row (unless it is Colorado 2 row). A third thing I do is mash a bit hotter than most (~155), which is reported to reduce fermentability, giving the illusion of more body.

All that said - if I am adding a grain, I usually don't pay attention to body until the final review and add carapils as a "filler" if needed. Usually though, I handle body concerns with other ingredients/process.

Hope this kind of helps you answer your question.

I use 2 Row (US) and for my yeast I use US-05 and generally get 80-85 attenuation out of it.
I suppose I could raise my mash temp and up my grain bill a tad to make up for the lower attenuation I'm sure to get from doing so.
But I mean...what is the downside of carapils? It seems like it adds body, so what would be a reason to not use it?

If you like your results with Carapils then why change? I use it all the time with APA's & IPA's, along with a bit of Vienna, Munich and C40 or C60. I mash the APA's @ ~156F & the IPA's @ ~150F. IPA's get a little sugar and a little less crystal. Cheers!!!

hamiltont said:
If you like your results with Carapils then why change? I use it all the time with APA's & IPA's, along with a bit of Vienna, Munich and C40 or C60. I mash the APA's @ ~156F & the IPA's @ ~150F. IPA's get a little sugar and a little less crystal. Cheers!!!

That's exactly what I do too! A little Vienna, two row, c40, carapils and BAM!
I guess I wanted to know if there is a possible downside to using it. I certainly do like my results.

That's exactly what I do too! A little Vienna, two row, c40, carapils and BAM!
I guess I wanted to know if there is a possible downside to using it. I certainly do like my results.

Then roll with it! That combo, with a tincture of Jalapeno, treated me to a silver at the National Homebrew Competition last year. I'm not changing a thing!

For a 10 gallon batch of IPA the grain bill was:
26 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American Vienna
1 lb. American Munich
1 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1 lb. American crystal 40L
and 2 lbs. Cane sugar

Mashed @ 150F and 2 packets of US-05 fermented @ 62F

Cheers!!!

If you like it, use it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Carapils. It is an easy way to give a little body and head retention.

If you're concerned about using too much carapils, try a Uinta Wyld extra pale ale, the Wyld is 13% carapils, and its delicious.

hamiltont said:
Then roll with it! That combo, with a tincture of Jalapeno, treated me to a silver at the National Homebrew Competition last year. I'm not changing a thing!

For a 10 gallon batch of IPA the grain bill was:
26 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American Vienna
1 lb. American Munich
1 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1 lb. American crystal 40L
and 2 lbs. Cane sugar

Mashed @ 150F and 2 packets of US-05 fermented @ 62F

Cheers!!!

Looks good! Congrats on the silver.

CaraPils gets a bad wrap, but its a great malt. And its in a lot of IPAs that want to finish on the dryer side but still have a nice mouthfeel.

That Green Flash IPA is pretty amazing and its 8% carapils and 8% C 40.

funkswing said:
CaraPils gets a bad wrap, but its a great malt. And its in a lot of IPAs that want to finish on the dryer side but still have a nice mouthfeel.

That Green Flash IPA is pretty amazing and its 8% carapils and 8% C 40.

That's right, it is! I heard that on Jamil's show.

Back