CaraPils/Dextrin Malt - How much to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteinBrew

Reaction score
I have a quick question:

When using CaraPils/Dextrin malt in a 10-gallon batch of all-grain ale, what percentage of the grain bill should be allotted?

Side notes:
- I am using this malt strictly for increased foam, head retention, and enhanced mouthfeel.
- I am under the impression that 5% is a proper amount. I also think the amounts might depend on style, but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance for any shared insight!

I have a quick question:

When using CaraPils/Dextrin malt in a 10-gallon batch of all-grain ale, what percentage of the grain bill should be allotted?

Side notes:
- I am using this malt strictly for increased foam, head retention, and enhanced mouthfeel.
- I am under the impression that 5% is a proper amount. I also think the amounts might depend on style, but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance for any shared insight!

It really depends on lots of factors...including how much head retention you want and how many hops are in the recipe, what AA value, etc.

5% sounds fine for a standard beer, but if you posted the recipe we could be of more help.

I've read that the max should be 20%, but I would guess that would be true of all crystal malts.

I don't use carapils at all anymore, but if I did I'd be comfortable with going up to a pound in 10 gallons as long as the recipe wasn't already loaded with crystal malts.

It really depends on lots of factors...including how much head retention you want and how many hops are in the recipe, what AA value, etc.

5% sounds fine for a standard beer, but if you posted the recipe we could be of more help.

Thanks! Here is a typical recipe of mine for a 10 gal. batch:

Pale Ale

Stats:
Mash efficiency - 80%
Pre-boil - 1.048
OG - 1.052
FG - 1.016
Color - 6.2 SRM
Bitterness - 40 IBU
ABV - 4.8%
ABW - 3.8%

Grain Bill:
2-Row - 8lbs. - 40.5%
Maris Otter - 8lbs. - 40.5%
Caramel 20L - 1.5lbs. - 7.6%
CaraPils - 1lb. - 5.1%
Caramel 10L - .75lb. - 3.8%
Caramel 40L - .5lb. - 2.5%

Hop Bill:
60 min. - .33oz. Warrior, .25oz. Simcoe
10 min. - 1oz. Cascade, .5oz. Simcoe
5 min. - 1oz. Cascade, .5oz. Simcoe
Flame-out - 1oz. Cascade, .5oz. Simcoe
Dry-hop - 1.5ozs. Cascade, .5oz. Simcoe

Yeast:
Wyeast 1332 - Northwest Ale
Profile: One of the classic ale strains from a Northwest U.S. Brewery. Produces malty and mildly fruity ale with good depth and complexity.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 65-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

You are dangerously close to that 20% mark for Crystals, and are using some low attenuating yeast. As long as you want a very sweet APA, then you have a beer that should have good head retention. You didn't post your mash temp, but make sure its 154 or less, maybe 150.

FWIW, I think the beer will be fine on head retention without the carapils and a standard mash temp (154). All those crystals will help, the ones besides the carapils. EDIT: I didn't see the simcoe, you really SHOULDN'T use Carapils in this recipe, it'll be fine on it's own.

As for Yooper not using it ever, I usually don't either, but there are some lighter beers that can benefit from a bit of help getting some head.

You are dangerously close to that 20% mark for Crystals, and are using some low attenuating yeast. As long as you want a very sweet APA, then you have a beer that should have good head retention. You didn't post your mash temp, but make sure its 154 or less, maybe 150.

FWIW, I think the beer will be fine on head retention without the carapils and a standard mash temp (154). All those crystals will help, the ones besides the carapils. EDIT: I didn't see the simcoe, you really SHOULDN'T use Carapils in this recipe, it'll be fine on it's own.

As for Yooper not using it ever, I usually don't either, but there are some lighter beers that can benefit from a bit of help getting some head.

Yea, I'm not really into the sweet pales or IPAs, so I'll take note. Sorry for not posting the mash temp., but I always have it b/w 150 and 154.

I am curious, for my personal understanding, how does the presence Simcoe impact your thoughts about the usage of CaraPils?

Yea, I'm not really into the sweet pales or IPAs, so I'll take note. Sorry for not posting the mash temp., but I always have it b/w 150 and 154.

I am curious, for my personal understanding, how does the presence Simcoe impact your thoughts about the usage of CaraPils?

High Alpha hops increase head retention. Well, to be more specific, Alpha Acids increase head retention, so a beer with higher IBU's will have more head retention than one with lower IBUs.

I thought you just had a dash of warrior and heaps of cascade, so the IBUs wouldve only been...20 or so.

If you want to dry out your Hoppy Pale/Mild IPA, I would suggest a lower mash temp, less crystal, or a more aggressive yeast. Could do a combo of all 3. You shouldn't have a head retention issue on this beer regardless.

1056 always works, but is boring. ;) There are some other good attenuators out there, let us know if you need suggestions.

BTW, lagunitas would be a good commercial example of a sweeter IPA if you have had it. I just made a clone if you want to look at the ingredient similarities/differences: http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/02/06/ppm-lagunitas-ipa/ Check out the mash temp. :D

In that grist, you really don't need CaraPils. Hell, you wouldn't need it if you had no Crystal malts at all (though each will contribute to foam and body), as Maris Otter and other pale malts of that type usually have quite sufficient proteins present to support foam stability.

Cheers,

Bob

Back