caramunich insted of Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
I am doing a wheat beer 48/48/4 2-row wheat malt and caramunich. The problem is the brew shop only had caramunich and not Munich like the recipe called for. Would swiching the two be noticable or should I just keep the caramunich out ?

I believe caramunich is like crystal malt, so it probably won't contribute any fermentable sugars. So it's not really a substitute. Maybe with a small amount, like .5 pounds, it would be ok.

Yep, CaraMunich is a crystal. They didn't have Munich? You could use Victory or Biscuit though about half as much. It won't exactly be the same but it will offer that darker toast character.

Or you could just toast some 2-row.

Definitely be noticeable... just wait and get the right stuff... you don't want too much cara in a beer, you'll end up with a really malty brew... unless that's what you want.

You could probably use Vienna in its place, though it really isn't quite the same. Use a bit more of it.

Also, where does this idea that crystal malts contribute no fermentables come from? Everyone seems convinced of it, it seems.:confused:

I think it's more of a "more non-fermentables than base malt" kinda thing. also you get that caramely taste that isn't present in base malt.

No one doubts that they're less fermentable than base grains, but the claim I often see is that crystal malts are 100% nonfermentable, which is plain untrue.

Ok ok I was wrong. I've read before that they contribute no fermentables but I just checked, and confirmed that they do contribute some fermentables. But Munich and caramunich are different.

You learn something new everyday with this hobby...

That's part of the beauty of it. There's always more to learn, and always better beer to be made. And of course, having a stockpile of good beer from past successes never hurts either, does it?

There was a guy around here doing tests of fermentabilty of crystal malts based on color. I think the idea was to look into matters a bit more deeply after the initial experiments. If I remember, all crystal malts were between 38-50% fermentable based off the basic experiment. Anyway, we're getting off track, but I agree caramunich isn't a good substitute for munich. A higher percentage of Vienna, subbed out for base malt if necessary, may be the best solution.

Back