Caramelized Wort vs Caramelized Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cents

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is much difference between caramelizing some wort as is done in Scottish ales for flavor and simply using caramelized malt. Is it worth the extra effort to caramelize wort or is it just a tradition that can be replaced by using caramelized malt?

Depends on if you're happy with the flavors imparted by the carmelized malt. By caramelizing the wort, you can experiment with the length of the process until you find the flavor that you're looking for.

I am not sure what carmelized malt is, so I can't be sure.

If you mean Caramel malt (Crystal), then I would say there is a difference. Caramel malts are baked longer by the maltster for darker versions, but carmelized wort is highly concentrated or cooked down in a separate pan at brew time, thereby scorching the decomposed malt extracts to get a darker thicker mix to add into your wort.

The taste of carmelized wort is definitely different than darker crystal malts handled normally (in my experience).

Back