Caramel/ Toffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AV8ORbrew

Reaction score
Ok brewers,
I have seen various posts on making caramel. All of which use water and sugar. My question: Since we all use lactose... Is it safe to produce Toffee (butter, sugar, almonds, small amount of water) and use it in beer?

I am not sure if anyone here has had issues with this. Thanks in advance!

Should be able to get toffee notes from unrefined sugars like demerera, turbinado, and muscavado.

Yes, and that is why I wanted to put this out there. Layering some crystal malt and a little turbinado. Thanks guys!

I highly recommend making your own candi sugar, takes time but is super easy, and can get many of those toffee and caramel flavors.

image-866975881.jpg

I made my own dark candi sugar with 2 cups of table sugar and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar to invert it. It took about 45 minutes and alot of stirring to get this color. I used it in a dubbel. I'll let you know if it was worth it!

I added it directly to the primary. I didnt want to lose any in the cold break and hops in the bottom of the boil kettle.

Nice folks! I have made candied sugar to add before. This question was centered around my creme brulee knock off. Wanted that little something extra. It is in secondary now. I did get a little something extra... Thanks for the follow on information! Happy Brewing!

Back