Caramel/Crystal 40 substitue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
Working up an APA recipe that calls for about 1# of crystal 40. Ordering my supplies from Austin Homebrew and my only options are crystal 20 or english crystal malt (60-74 L). Would either of these be an appropriate substitute? What about caramunich? It's rated at 30-48 L.

Wow, I guess I've never really looked, but Austin has a really poor selection of specialty malts...

If you had to use one of the ones they stock, I would pick the Carastan. Its a little light, so you could just increase the quantity in your recipe by ~10% or so.

I'm a fan of carastan also, besides English styles I use it in place of domestic crystal in my American ales as well. I think it has a little bit better flavor, a little richer maybe or less sweet. I would just sub it one for one for the C-40.

Cool, thanks. Didn't consider carastan. Not sure I've every actually used it.

Yeah, Austin's specialty malts, especially their crystal selection, is pretty lacking. I usually order from there and sometimes Northern Brewer. Austin is usually cheaper though and I like that they allow some fractional amounts of grain. Northern Brewer only sells by the pound.

Back