Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PearlJamNoCode said:
I Guess not :(

I would assume so - on a chemical reaction level, yeast is yeast.

I'm using Danstar Nottingham dry yeast in the batch that I brewed two days ago, so you should be able to use about any ale-type yeast.

What are your fermentation temperatures? This can define what strain you need.
How clear do you want it? This dictates whether you want a low- or high-flocculation strain.

In short, though, yeah, you should be able to use dry yeast.

chriso said:
I would assume so - on a chemical reaction level, yeast is yeast.

I'm using Danstar Nottingham dry yeast in the batch that I brewed two days ago, so you should be able to use about any ale-type yeast.

What are your fermentation temperatures? This can define what strain you need.
How clear do you want it? This dictates whether you want a low- or high-flocculation strain.

In short, though, yeah, you should be able to use dry yeast.

My fermentation temps would be around 68*F. I'd like a relatively clear beer but flavor of course is most important.

My problem is I have planned my brew date the day I return home from school, therefore I won't have a chance to do a starter a few days before, so I'd prefer just to use the dry yeast.

PearlJamNoCode said:
My fermentation temps would be around 68*F. I'd like a relatively clear beer but flavor of course is most important.

My problem is I have planned my brew date the day I return home from school, therefore I won't have a chance to do a starter a few days before, so I'd prefer just to use the dry yeast.

By what you're saying, I recommend the same Danstar Nottingham - it's high-flocculation, so it should result in a clear-ish beer, just remember that about 40% of the grain (or extract) is wheat-based, which will give you a haze unless you use gelatin/finings to cause precipitate to drop out, or perhaps give it a strong cold crash at the end of secondary?

I've never tried either method, I simply secondary for a couple of weeks, and however clear it is, it is. I have no problems with a cloudy wheat beer. :)

As for the Nottingham, I just followed the directions and have a quite active fermentation going as we speak. I thought it was strange, though, that the package tells you not to stir at first - add the dry yeast to about 4 oz of 85-92*F water, and let sit for 15 minutes, THEN stir, and pitch.

Edit: Also, you don't need a starter to do a Wyeast Smack-Pack... they work like a charm, they're just expensive.

:fro:

PearlJamNoCode said:

This beer isn't clear and isn't meant to be clear. Mine were almost opaque.

I brewed using three vanilla beans split, scraped and added during the last 15 minutes of the boil. I just transferred out of the primary after ten days of unbelievably vigerous fermentation. (It looked like it was boiling for about two days.)

If this stuff tastes anything like it smells then I will be one happy guy. The aroma is heavenly.

I plan on letting it sit for only another week before I bottle it. Very anxious to try it.

:mug:

chriso said:
I can't wait to brew this tomorrow morning!!! Here's my take on it, all-grain style.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.15 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.2 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
4 lbs Wheat Malt
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 10L
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Maize, Flaked
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 min)
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
Mash Schedule: 1-step, 3.25 gal, 156 deg target, 75 minute
Batch sparge, 1 batch, 5.25 gal, 170 deg

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (75 min)
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (15.0 min)
2.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (15.0 min)
2.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (5.0 min)

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar) Yeast-Ale

Unless others have suggestions to the contrary, I plan to follow the usual 1-2-3 fermentation schedule, so I'll report back in like 6 weeks? :)

:fro:

chriso - Your Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale has no Vanilla!!! :confused:

Schlenkerla said:
chriso - Your Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale has no Vanilla!!! :confused:

Sorry, it didn't exist in BeerSmith by default, so I wrote it in on my paper copy. Have since added it to the s/w. I used 3 oz of "Real Bourbon Vanilla Extract" - store label, cost about $4.50.

I guess my recipe has 100% more caramel flavor (vanilla not available in all states, some restrictions apply, see manufacturer for details)? :D

OK - I'd hate for you to go to all that trouble only to forget the vanilla!!

You know how that can happen if your enjoying a few good ones. Having it on the list makes sure you don't forget!

:mug:

I plan on doing a 5 gallon batch of this with a boil size of about 2.5 gallons. Would the ingredients (especially the amount of hops) on the first page remain the same?

Sorry again for all these silly questions... I'm just learning. You know what they say... "The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked."

PearlJamNoCode said:
I plan on doing a 5 gallon batch of this with a boil size of about 2.5 gallons. Would the ingredients (especially the amount of hops) on the first page remain the same?

Sorry again for all these silly questions... I'm just learning. You know what they say... "The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked."

Any help at all please? :confused:

Don't half the ingredients unless you are doing half a batch. If you half it you will have half the sugar and IBU's when you fill to 5 gallons with water.

Your still doing 5 gallons.

PJ-

Sorry I can't help answer all your questions. I've never made it the way you're looking to make it, so I can't guess at how it'll turn out. I wish I could give you answers. Try it out and see what you make. A 2.5 gallon boil might be kind of small to soak up all the sugars so you may end up with excessive caramelization.

No worries! this is my first brew ever so I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I don't expect you to answer all my questions since there are so many of them.

What is excessive caramelization and what flavors would result form it? I'm thinking I might bump up the boil to 3 gallons.

Thanks!

cheese, congrats on a great recipe and thanks for sharing. I popped the cap on my first one the night before thanksgiving, and I only have a 6 pack left! I did share a few and they were enjoyed by all who tasted. Cheers:mug:

I did all 1 oz hop additions, and toned down the vanilla to 2oz after boil and 2oz at bottleing - tastes amazing!

:off:
Hey PJ, I see you are from Philly. I live in the Burbs but work quite a bit downtown... send me a PM sometime (so we don't take over the thread) if you're interested in meeting for beer and trading brews.

After reading all the good stuff about this beer it will be my next brew!
With the hops shortage I cannot find Saaz, any suggestions on what to sub for it?
Thanks

I just pitched yeast on a batch of this about 20 minutes ago!

I went with 3# of xlight DME and 1 3.5# can of John Bull Wheat LME (All my LHBS had). They also didn't have any german ale yeast. So she suggested White Labs WLP011 European Ale Yeast.

I'm using a trial of Beer Alchemy for OSX and I planned out the recipe for adding the LME at the end of the boil. I adjusted the hops schedule to match the original recipe.
I opted to add the LME at the end since my brewpot is only 3.5 gallons.

I can't wait until this ones ready to drink!!!

I made this recipe and added bourbon suggested somewhere on this thread but I refuse to read 12 pages of posts to find it. I tried it fresh as was suggested that it was best and hated it. This was in June of this year. I almost poured it out but instead put it in a dark corner and forgot about it.

I bought a house and packed my brewing equipment which will be in storage for three months and was running out of homebrew so I dug up what I had put away in June.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!! It has turned out to be one of my best beers.

I exhumed the recipe and found that I had used more hops than the original and that the kolsh yeast didn't take off for a couple of days and I added US 05. This was a three gallon batch.

I believe I will use it as is the next time but make a 5 gallon batch using US 05 yeast. Here is the recipe I used for the three gallon recipe I made in May.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Vanilla Nice
Brewer: Jerry Pritchett
Asst Brewer: Cheesefood
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0) Fresh it was not nice but after 6 months it was delicious. I mean really great.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Pale Extract (3.0 SRM) Extract 43.86 %
2 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 43.86 %
9.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 12.28 %
0.60 oz Cascade [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 22.6 IBU (actually used 1 oz)
0.60 oz Saaz [3.30 %] (20 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.60 oz Hallertauer [3.80 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Hops -
0.15 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Bourbon, Jim Beam Black (Bottling 5.0 minMisc
2.40 oz Lactose (Milk Sugar) (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2.40 oz Lactose (Milk Sugar) (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
30.00 ml Vanilla Extract (Bottling 0.0 min) Misc
30.00 ml Vanilla Extract (Primary 0.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [SYeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Safale American Ale (DCL #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Partial Mash Steep
Total Grain Weight: 0.56 lb
----------------------------
Partial Mash Steep
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Grain Steep Add 0.85 gal of water and heat to 15155.0 F
10 min Sparge Add 0.85 gal of water at 175.3 F 165.0 F

Notes:
------
Note: At Bottling add Lactose & Vanilla & Bourbon
5/27/2007 Missed a lot of targets. Ended up with 6.2 gallons of pre-boil. Forgot to allow extract volume. Boiled 20 minutes before adding 1 oz Cascade instead of .60 ounce. Used Tradition Hops in place of Hallertaur and used Tpschitz Saaz. Ended up with 2.8 gallons in fermenter.
Pitched 1 tube of yeast at 79° and set fermenter chamber to 68° at 1PM.
5/28/2007 7PM 30 Hours. No activity yet. Swirled the yeast in suspension and returned to fermenter.
5/29/2007 8 AM - Almost no activity. Sprinkled a packet of US 05 on wort.
6/11/07 Bottled with 3 oz Corn Sugar, 2.5 oz Lactose, 1 oz Vanilla, 1 oz Bourbon.

I racked mine to secondary this evening.
OG - 1.052
FG - 1.012
14996-ccca.jpg

I'm kind of curious, does the wyeast 1007 take awhile to get cranking?

This is my first time using 1007. My smack pack was fully inflated.

Its been 18hrs since I pitched. Its showing signs of activity, but not much. Temp is a little on the low end ~57F

Is this one a slow starter?

Mine was raging away 12 hours after i pitched. My temp was a steady 64 the whole fermentaiton though. You wont be disappointed with this beer. I had to force myself to hide a 6 pack away for true aging.

Didn't like the taste AT ALL when I transferred this to secondary.

Tried a taste after adding my priming sugar/malto/lactose/vanilla, and it's much better. Can't wait for this to age, I can tell that it's GOING to taste good, just not yet.

If I had to change any one thing, though, I would add only 1 oz at boil, and 2 oz at bottling. I did it in reverse this time, 2 in boil, 1 at bottle. (Only had a 3 oz bottle)

Already have another bottle of vanilla extract for the next batch, can't wait to get it going!

Holy Crap!

I have 5 galllons of VCCA in a 7.9 gal and its blowing out the airlock. I'm gonna add my blow off hose.

I should have known better!!! :mad:

Just bottled my first batch of this (also my first batch ever) on Friday. Tasted like beer! Gonna let this sit for the next three-four weeks and then have a real nice beer.

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014

EDIT:

Mine was a slow started as well. My packet barely swelled, pitched and fermented at 68*, and it took nearly 48 hours to get going. But when it did start boy did it start!

PearlJamNoCode said:
Mine was a slow started as well. My packet barely swelled, pitched and fermented at 68*, and it took nearly 48 hours to get going. But when it did start boy did it start!

Mine was swelled to the max. Started slow and is rip-roaring now. The blow-off has bubbles passing through every 3-4 seconds. :rockin:

Boy this almost sounds dirty!!!

I pitched a couple of days ago and it started slowly bubbling 12 hours later and I thought man I must have messed something up, but then it started foaming at the mouth. So it must be ok :mug:

I just primed and bottled a batch on Saturday after exactly 3 weeks in primary. When do you think would be the earliest I could try it, then when would it be at peak flavor?

I am surprised at how patient I have been so far! Maybe that's because I haven't had any of it yet!

PearlJamNoCode said:
I just primed and bottled a batch on Saturday after exactly 3 weeks in primary. When do you think would be the earliest I could try it, then when would it be at peak flavor?

I am surprised at how patient I have been so far! Maybe that's because I haven't had any of it yet!

The earliest you should try it is 10 days. It'll be better at 14 days though and even better at 21. It'll probably be at its best between 4-6 weeks...

Today I had my first two... been bottled for about 12 days now and I like it, can't wait to see what it tastes like in a week or two. If I had to do it all over again I'd add more vanilla when I bottled, I only added 2oz.

Cauldron7 said:
I did all 1 oz hop additions, and toned down the vanilla to 2oz after boil and 2oz at bottleing - tastes amazing!

Good to hear that you bumped up the hops on this as well. I did an oz each of Cascade, Saaz, and Tett. How does the vanilla play with the additional hops?

gwood said:
Good to hear that you bumped up the hops on this as well. I did an oz each of Cascade, Saaz, and Tett. How does the vanilla play with the additional hops?

I think it came out perfectly balanced. If i were to do it again, I dont think i would do anything different.....

Cauldron7 said:
I think it came out perfectly balanced. If i were to do it again, I dont think i would do anything different.....

Very glad to hear this. I've been wondering if the cascade at 1oz for bittering was going to throw things off a bit.

Just wanted to report in here; I brought a bottle of this stuff over to the local HB club meeting, and got universally good feedback on it (well, ok, there was one guy who doesn't like crystal and another who doesn't do sweet, but they obviously don't count). It's definitely a dessert beer, but I think that it'll do well as a "change of pace" beer, or with a group of friends after a big meal. Thanks for the recipe!

After reading all of the reviews that this beer has sparked, had to try it. My friend and I just bottled it today, and I could not stop sipping on the sample we pulled from the little bit that was remaining once the bottles were done. I'm lookin forward to it in a few weeks. Thanks Cheese

Just brewed up my second attempt at this great beer, and only after brewing realised that the more up to date recipe (which is what I followed this second time round) had substituted Hallertauer for Tettnanger. Is there any reason for this, other than possibly the fact that you guys have that hop shortage? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that there was hallertauer at my LHBS - I don't think that we've been affected too much by your shortage (for eg my 100g of tett cost me $8NZ, which is ~$1.79US per oz).

Either way I guess it won't hurt, just curious more than anything. I must admit that I prefer the smell of tett compared to that of hallertauer, so maybe I'll like it better in my beer.

Back