Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this on Friday, and went down to check on in it my ferm temp to make sure it is staying around 62 degrees.

I used a starter with Wyeast 1007 yeast, and a blowoff tube, and the fermntation was so agressive it spilled out the side and bubbled over my growler filled with sanitizer!

This thing is a beast! Looks like things are calming down a bit now. This is my first beer using my temp controlled ferm fridge and I think that may make it my best beer yet. Smells amazing!

To everyone who has questions about substitutions: I DON'T KNOW. I haven't made this been in 4-5 years. I'm happy you've all had so much fun with it, but I honestly don't know how different hops, vanilla or grains will turn out.

Post your results with different versions.

Keep the faith bruthas.

Thread bump for great justice!!!

I'm brewing this right now but have no lactose, thinking of skipping until bottling. I do have a box of splenda, but am real nervous about using that. Anyone have quick thoughts on that??

Two weeks primary, two weeks secondary. Do you think I am good to bottle now? Not sure if leaving it longer in the secondary will do anything else?

I plan on tasting out of the bottling bucket to decide if I should add more vanilla or not?

Solaris,

Why would you not add vanilla to the primary? Would the secondary be better, or just bottling? I keg, so I didn't know if theres a difference here.

Thanks!

@Craig, honestly, you just need 3lb and 3lb on the LME packets. Bump up the late additions of hops to 1 oz each, and save ALL the 4 oz of Vanilla for when you bottle. Do NOT add any of the vanilla to the primary fermentation. And for God's sake, use Wyeast 1007 (http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=150). Cooler fermentation (60 degrees) is mandatory with that yeast, but I assure you, you will NOT regret it.

And if you can, use the Madagascar regular strength Vanilla from Penzey's. It's worth it's weight in gold in this beer. (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyssinglestrengthvanilla.html?id=3zRGcFLa)

:mug:

Solaris,

Why would you not add vanilla to the primary? Would the secondary be better, or just bottling? I keg, so I didn't know if theres a difference here.

Thanks!

You'll lose a lot of the aroma through the escape of Co2 while primary fermentation is occurring. No need for secondary on this beer. Just add the vanilla at keg/bottling time.

I'm brewing this right now but have no lactose, thinking of skipping until bottling. I do have a box of splenda, but am real nervous about using that. Anyone have quick thoughts on that??

Just use lactose. Not a huge deal if you leave it out completely. It just adds a bit of sweetness.

To everyone who has questions about substitutions: I DON'T KNOW. I haven't made this been in 4-5 years. I'm happy you've all had so much fun with it, but I honestly don't know how different hops, vanilla or grains will turn out.

Post your results with different versions.

Keep the faith bruthas.

Thread bump for great justice!!!

This beer is legend. Thanks for your contribution to the homebrew community!

O K, I've modified the recipe based off what others have done and put it into Beersmith.

Brewing Steps: Caramel Cream Ale
Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.75 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: 6.5 Gal pot / Partial Mash
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Water Prep
6.08 gal Chicago, IL Water

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5
4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6

Mash Steps
Mash In Add 7.48 qt of water at 170.0 F Step temp: 158.0 F 45 min
Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.20gal, 1.37gal) of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort
Add water to achieve boil volume of 3.75 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.081 SG

Boil Ingredients
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
4.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for15 min](0.0 SRM)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
2.00 Items Vanilla Beans (Boil 0.0 mins)

Steeped Hops
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 3.38 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG

Cool and Prepare Fermentation
Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal

Fermentation Ingredients
1.0 pkg Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080)

Fermentation
Primary Fermentation (4.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)
Secondary Fermentation (10.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)

Prepare for Kegging
2.00 oz Vanilla Extract Add to taste
1.00 Cup Milk Sugar (Lactose)

Estimate Final Gravity:1.012 SG)
IBU's: 18.4
Color: 10.6
ABV: 6.0%

This is my first time putting a beer together that did not come in kit form. This is also my first time using Beersmith. I would really appreciate any comments, critiques or opinions on this.

O K, I've modified the recipe based off what others have done and put it into Beersmith.

Brewing Steps: Caramel Cream Ale
Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.75 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: 6.5 Gal pot / Partial Mash
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Water Prep
6.08 gal Chicago, IL Water

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5
4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6

Mash Steps
Mash In Add 7.48 qt of water at 170.0 F Step temp: 158.0 F 45 min
Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.20gal, 1.37gal) of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort
Add water to achieve boil volume of 3.75 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.081 SG

Boil Ingredients
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
4.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for15 min](0.0 SRM)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
2.00 Items Vanilla Beans (Boil 0.0 mins)

Steeped Hops
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 3.38 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG

Cool and Prepare Fermentation
Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal

Fermentation Ingredients
1.0 pkg Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080)

Fermentation
Primary Fermentation (4.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)
Secondary Fermentation (10.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)

Prepare for Kegging
2.00 oz Vanilla Extract Add to taste
1.00 Cup Milk Sugar (Lactose)

Estimate Final Gravity:1.012 SG)
IBU's: 18.4
Color: 10.6
ABV: 6.0%

This is my first time putting a beer together that did not come in kit form. This is also my first time using Beersmith. I would really appreciate any comments, critiques or opinions on this.

I brewed this today, the O.G. was 1.045 at 4.25 gal.

This is boiling right now for me, and I just saw that the Wyeast 1007 requires a ferm temp in the 60's. I'm a low-tech basement brewer, keeping the temps in the 72ish range. Any suggestions/ideas on how a higher temp will affect this? Also, will 4oz vanilla all at priming take some time to mellow? I'm planning on serving this at a party 6.5 weeks after it brews. I was going to do 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottle.
ps, i'm doing the updated partial from the first page of the thread

I found this but am still a bit confused on the batch/boil size. Any clarification you could add would be great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/vanilla-caramel-cream-ale-23680/

Whats confusing you about it?
batch size is 4.64 gallons.
mash water is 4 gal.. which will give you 2.5 for first runnings.
sparger looks high to me for a 5 gal batch but im still learning. if it was me id sparge to make 6.5 gallons preboil. i always measure my first runnings and stop adding sparge runnings when i hit my preboil volume.

BrewinBigD said:
Whats confusing you about it?
batch size is 4.64 gallons.
mash water is 4 gal.. which will give you 2.5 for first runnings.
sparger looks high to me for a 5 gal batch but im still learning. if it was me id sparge to make 6.5 gallons preboil. i always measure my first runnings and stop adding sparge runnings when i hit my preboil volume.

Up top it says 5.5 gallon batch, then below the pic it says 4.64 gallon batch, but it says the runnings are 11 gallons, which is way too much for a 5 gallon batch... I'm new to all grain so thats confusing to me.

Yeah me too. Jist started AG this month. I saw that 11g number and was confused. The grain bill looks like a 5 gallon batch to me,, i guess youd have to put it into beersmith and see what shoots out, id do it but dont have ie yet...

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

I brewed this today, the O.G. was 1.045 at 4.25 gal.

Just transferred this to the secondary. The gravity came in at 1.012, which is what beersmith predicted. The taste was pretty good, just the right amount of hops, but no vanilla. I'll just have to add more vanilla when I transfer to the keg.

2nd week in the bottle, holy crap this is fantastic. I'm usually an IPA guy so this will definitely please my non-bitter beer friends. Wow, delicious.

im brewing an all grain version of this with more caramel and using real vanilla bean i have left over from my maple-vanilla brown ale

I transferred this to the keg over the weekend, tasted a sample...it's GOOD! But I did not really taste any vanilla. So I added 2 tsp. of vanilla bean paste mixed with a shot of vodka.

So how is everyone adding the lactose? I wasn't sure how to do it, so I added it to a cup of boiling water, let it cool, added it to the keg and racked the beer on top of it. Is it really going to blend / mix with the beer? Or is it just going to settle at the bottom of the keg?

So how is everyone adding the lactose? I wasn't sure how to do it, so I added it to a cup of boiling water, let it cool, added it to the keg and racked the beer on top of it. Is it really going to blend / mix with the beer? Or is it just going to settle at the bottom of the keg?
I just dumped the lactose in the bottom of the keg when I racked to it. Then I pressurized the keg and rolled it around the room :)

-Joe

Thought I'd share - I entered a modified version of this recipe in the FOAM cup and took bronze with it on November 18th. Excellent beer. Thanks again for posting this recipe.

No problem - this was the recipe I used:

2 Row Base

37ppg, 1.5°L7 pounds

53.8%
Wheat

38ppg, 2°L3 pounds

23.1%
Liquid Sugar - Honey (added this during chilling, around 150 degrees)

40ppg, 1°L2 pounds

15.4%
Crystal 80L

34ppg, 80°L1 pound

7.7%

Cascade hops

6.5%, Whole1 ounce 60 minutes (+0)

Tettnanger hops

4%, Pellet0.5 ounces 20 minutes (+40)

Tettnanger hops

4%, Pellet0.5 ounces 5 minutes (+55)

Soaked 3 chopped up vanilla beans in vodka for about two weeks, and pitched the beans, vodka, and everything into the keg once it was done fermenting. I threw it directly on draft, but the bottles I entered into the competition were filled after about a month on tap.

I fermented using Denny's 1450 Wyeast. Did this because I wanted the 'velvety' finish that 1450 can provide.

So, basically I swapped out some grain for 2 pounds of honey, upped the caramel 60 to caramel 80, and used Wyeast 1450.

Hey all, I'm planning on doing this as my next batch of beer, but it will be the first time I've ever done a brew without a kit (my third is currently in the fermenting bucket).

To put the recipe in dummy-proof instructions, is this correct?:

Step 1. Steep the caramel grains for 45 minutes at 150-165 degrees
Step 2. Remove grains, raise temperature to a rolling boil
Step 3. Add DME and Cascade hops; boil 60 minutes
Step 4. Add Saaz hops after 40 minutes
Step 5. Add Lactose after 45 minutes
Step 6. Add Tettnang and irish moss after 50 minutes
Step 7. Cool and add vanilla
Step 8. Put in bucket with yeast and let it ferment for 2-3 weeks
Step 9. Boil the lactose, vanilla, priming sugar, and DME together and cool, add to bottling bucket.
Step 10. Bottle... then wait and enjoy.

Sound right?

Also, side questions:
1. Would using the 80L grains give it a stronger caramel flavor?
2. I don't like bitter beers, would it be ideal to knock the cascade hops down to .5oz or maybe adding the 1oz in later in the boil?

Hey all, I'm planning on doing this as my next batch of beer, but it will be the first time I've ever done a brew without a kit (my third is currently in the fermenting bucket).

Step 9. Boil the lactose, vanilla, priming sugar, and DME together and cool, add to bottling bucket.

Sound right?

Also, side questions:
1. Would using the 80L grains give it a stronger caramel flavor?
2. I don't like bitter beers, would it be ideal to knock the cascade hops down to .5oz or maybe adding the 1oz in later in the boil?
Bump, any help on this please?

bassballboy said:
Bump, any help on this please?

3. Add DME same time as Lactose or add both at 2 min left to avoid scorching.
9. Why are you using DME and priming sugar? Cancel DME and Lactose, those will have already been added.

Q 1: Not at only a lb. Only more color.
Q 2: It's only 22 IBU's.

I let all my beers ferment at least 3-4 weeks. I suggests getting some brewing software like BeerSmith. It will tell you just about everything you need to know.

So I kegged this a few weeks back at 5 psi since I was planning on putting this on beergas and serving through my stout faucet. I poured one last night and it came out fantastic. Nice creamy, silky texture. It's tastes great, but it's a little too sweet for me. I don't think I could drink more than two glasses. If I make this again I'll cut back on the lactose.

I was talking to my LHBS guy about this and he suggested blending it with a bitter or doing a half-and-half with Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I'll give this a try and report back.

3. Add DME same time as Lactose or add both at 2 min left to avoid scorching.
9. Why are you using DME and priming sugar? Cancel DME and Lactose, those will have already been added.

Q 1: Not at only a lb. Only more color.
Q 2: It's only 22 IBU's.

I let all my beers ferment at least 3-4 weeks. I suggests getting some brewing software like BeerSmith. It will tell you just about everything you need to know.
I will give beersmith a shot and see what it's like, I've never tried it before.

3. I'm not familiar with adding the malt so late - the kits I've used from my LHBS always add it ealier in the boil.
9. I was guessing after reading the "priming" section from the post #5. Is that not what he meant?

What if I did 2lbs of 60L, would that add more caramel flavor? Is there another method to add more caramel flavor?

bassballboy said:
I will give beersmith a shot and see what it's like, I've never tried it before.

3. I'm not familiar with adding the malt so late - the kits I've used from my LHBS always add it ealier in the boil.
9. I was guessing after reading the "priming" section from the post #5. Is that not what he meant?

What if I did 2lbs of 60L, would that add more caramel flavor? Is there another method to add more caramel flavor?

3. Yeah sorry used to all grain adding late. I think hop utilization is affected by not adding DME early.

I use a lot of crystal malts and I'm only able to get so much caramel flavor after that it's just color in my opinion.

Sound right?

So I believe I am correct in the above steps, but I have one major question - is the DME in the priming used INSTEAD of sugar to get carbonation? Please let me know ASAP someone - going to brew this week.

Hey I have been following this forum for awhile but just joined. I am pretty new to brewing but I am definitly going to brew this beer as soon as I have an open fermentor. I was just wondering if anybody had thought of adding pecans. I think it would be really tasty and I think I am just going to add them in with the caramel 60L

Hey I have been following this forum for awhile but just joined. I am pretty new to brewing but I am definitly going to brew this beer as soon as I have an open fermentor. I was just wondering if anybody had thought of adding pecans. I think it would be really tasty and I think I am just going to add them in with the caramel 60L

not in this beer, but if you add them to the mash roast them first to get some of the oil out

one8tvw said:
not in this beer, but if you add them to the mash roast them first to get some of the oil out

I have heard if you roast them let them sit in a paper bag it gets all the oils out. I figuredi would do that then steep them in with the the caramel 60L if I don't think there is enough pecan flavor when I rack to the sevondary I will probably "dry hop" some in the secondary

So I kegged this a few weeks back at 5 psi since I was planning on putting this on beergas and serving through my stout faucet. I poured one last night and it came out fantastic. Nice creamy, silky texture. It's tastes great, but it's a little too sweet for me. I don't think I could drink more than two glasses. If I make this again I'll cut back on the lactose.

I was talking to my LHBS guy about this and he suggested blending it with a bitter or doing a half-and-half with Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I'll give this a try and report back.

So I served this at my NYE party and it was a big hit. Even for the BMC drinkers. I also tried a half-and-half with Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, fantastic!

Back