Car boy plug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's wet, they'll often do that.
Also, you don't need to jam that 3-piece in all the way to the hilt.
Back it out so you could set the bung standing up on a flat surface without tipping over...

Cheers!

Sanitize the bung, then dry it with a clean paper towel before inserting. Try not to wipe any rogue microbes on it while drying.

During primary fermentation you only need the airlock to keep bugs out. There will be so much CO2 produced that not much else can get in. You could just cover the opening with a cloth and be just fine for several days.

During primary fermentation you only need the airlock to keep bugs out. There will be so much CO2 produced that not much else can get in. You could just cover the opening with a cloth and be just fine for several days.

I can only fit one carboy with airlock in my fermentation chamber at a time. If i put a 2nd one in I have to lay a starsan soaked paper towel over the opening. Probably not ideal, but I have never had a problem with this.

Do you have room for a blowoff hose? That would be better than the paper towel.

I cut off a short piece of a cracked racking cane. That goes into the bung and then the hose on top of it. The whole thing doesn't stick up that much.

It's for secondary fermentation so do I need a air lock or could I just cover it with tin foil

Still can't get that bung to stay put? Is this some weird type of carboy?
I have a half dozen 6.5g and one 5g carboy and I can usually get the bungs to stay put even after dunking them in Star San - if not immediately, then in an hour or so.
For sure once they're set they don't go anywhere until physically popped out.

Anyway, I would think a chunk of foil rubber-banded tight to the carboy neck would likely suffice...

Cheers!

It's for secondary fermentation so do I need a air lock or could I just cover it with tin foil

I would certainly try to use an airlock either way, but definitely so if it's in secondary-- most/all of the fermentation has finished up, so there will be a much greater risk of introducing oxygen at this stage.

Back