cant taste coffee or chocolate in stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

price2bc

Reaction score
I recently brewed a coffee and chocolate stout. Its nearly done in the secondary and after taking a sample I can barely taste any chocolate and cant taste and coffee whatsoever. I planned to add 2 oz of cold pressed coffee at bottling so I'm not to worried about the coffee but how can i remedy the lack of chocolate flavor and aroma? it is a 5.5 gallon batch.

it is a clone of founders breakfast stout originally posted by dubbeldach

16 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs American Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
9 oz American Black Patent
7 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
22 oz Oats Flaked

.5 oz Nugget (Whole, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min.

2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
2 oz Ground Kona coffee cold brewed, added at bottling
2.5 oz Dark bittersweet baker's chocolate at 15 mins.
1.5 oz Unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at 15 mins.

2 pkg. DCL Yeast Safale S-04 Top Quality Ale Yeast

the original coffee addition at flameout was done with a small herb bag instead of a hop bag and I believe this is my problem with the coffee. it didn't allow enough room for the coffee grounds to move around and do their thing.

I plan to up the bottling addition a bit to make up for it but am at a loss as to how to increase the chocolate flavor/ aroma at this point. It is going to be bottled on sunday (1week from now).

When you say you added the coffee at flameout, how did you do it? Did you leave the coffee in during fermentation, or did you just let it steep for a few minutes?

What about your gravity readings? My estimate is that you had about 1.09 OG and you're shooting for about 1.025 FG. With those numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if all you can taste at bottling is the alcohol, and I would leave it in the bottles for at least 6 months till it's ready to drink.

So, with that in mind, I think it's way too early to say what the final result will taste like. However, I would say that you'll get more of a chocolate flavor in the future if you use your cocoa nibs and baker's chocolate in secondary, and not boil it at all. Honestly, though, I've never used either.

What does it taste like now?

When I brewed a breakfast stout the chocolate did not come out for about a month. All I got was coffee.

Btw. Coffee malt is outstanding for getting a coffee flavor.

Back