Can't say no to a free PLC...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleD

Reaction score
A little background, I used to do PLC programming for my prior company, and helped troubleshoot a problem with an Automation Direct DL240 for a client of ours. Fast forward a few years and they are throwing the old unit away due to other hardware upgrades, but the PLC is still functional. It was offered to me, and I jumped on it! It may be the start of my own automated brewery...

Just need to add a front end GUI. Thinking about a Red Lion DSPLE with web interface or developing my own application. I'm SCADA application developer, so this is right in my wheel house. Tough to justify some of the industrial equipment costs for a homebrew setup, but we'll see if I can DIY for cheaper. Happy brewing guys!

Here's a quick pic I snapped of the PLC with I/O:

I used to deal with DL’s more than I wanted...but free is free. Have you checked out the RedLion’s DSPLE successor, the DA30? We use them extensively where I work but essentially they are the same.

I used to deal with DL’s more than I wanted...but free is free. Have you checked out the RedLion’s DSPLE successor, the DA30? We use them extensively where I work but essentially they are the same.

Agreed, not a huge fan of the DL PLCs, but yeah, free is free!

The DA30 looks great for IIOT applications. We primarily used the protocol conversion in the DSPLE, but the web server would be great for a cheap SCADA... I may keep the DA30 in mind if I end up getting this setup going down the road!

Agreed, not a huge fan of the DL PLCs, but yeah, free is free!

The DA30 looks great for IIOT applications. We primarily used the protocol conversion in the DSPLE, but the web server would be great for a cheap SCADA... I may keep the DA30 in mind if I end up getting this setup going down the road!

If it ever comes to fruition, and you’re still set on using a DSPLE, I’ve got one laying around that I’m sure I won’t miss if it’s gone.

If it ever comes to fruition, and you’re still set on using a DSPLE, I’ve got one laying around that I’m sure I won’t miss if it’s gone.

I'll keep you in mind! Thanks!

Back