Can't find Corny tools

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
Ok, I've been kegging for over a year and have never taken apart any of my kegs. I'm pretty anal about cleaning them with a long soak/sanitize method that has kept be bug free...until now.

So, I found out I didn't own the proper tools to take them apart. I went to 3 hardware stores in search of the proper socket and they all had no idea even when I brought the keg with me. Either all the people I dealt with are idiots or these tools are hard to find.

I've researched some and found that I need a 7/8" hex and 12 point socket for these which brings me to my question...

WHERE THE HELL DO I FIND THE TOOLS TO TAKE THIS FRIGGIN KEG APART!?

Sorry......but after wasting a full Sunday driving around with corny keg in had and coming home with no tools......I'm a bit frustrated :mug:

what special tools do you need?!

I've got 4 cornies and have been taking them apart for years with the basic wrenches I have in my pretty meager tool collection.

A quick search shows both sockets available at all of the Lowes, Home Depot, Autozone, and Checker/O'Reilly stores in my area.

I just got a 7/8 ring spanner and the is all good. Although does anyone reackon that 7/8 is a bit sloppy and a 22mm would fit better?

Use what ever one fits the best although after you break it apart the first time they get easier to dissasemble and the 7/8ths will probably work fine

They had no idea what you were talking about at Home Depot or Lowe's????

I have to assume you used incorrect vocabulary or something.

Really all you should say is "I want a 7/8" 12-point wrench". Home Depot doesn't sell them individually so far as I know, but you can pick up individual Craftsman wrenches at Sears if you look. I have a set of wrenches and use many different sizes on various pieces of brewing equipment. For example, you need some of the smaller ones to take apart regulators and the like.

I've had a couple bad experiences trying to purchase tools at home depot, even telling them specifically and using correct terminology. Instead they tried to sell me something completely different than what I needed. Point is though, throw a mexican wrench(crescent) on it, works every time for me. A good crescent, a hammer, and a roll of duct tape will get you far in life! :D

I tried to take mine apart using several wrenches and various other methods. It wouldn't budge and I striped the posts. I need the correct tools to move them.

+1

It's not hard. Just go find a 7/8" 12 point box-end wrench.
You can get a set that contains one at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Ace, WalMart, or just about anywhere else, for about $12

The trick is you need deep socket wrenches. 7/8 and 11/16. I bought them all individually from sears. A regular wrench wouldn't work on some of my kegs because the plastic molded hand created a curve right near some of the posts.

Buy yourself a 12-point, deep-socket set at Sears. Can't remember what it cost, less than $20. Some connectors are different sizes, some are 7/8, some I think are 13/16, so get a set. They're about two, maybe two and a half inches long. Just ask for a deep-socket set and they'll point you in the right direction.

Unrelated to brewing but related to wrenches and retailers story:

I have a buddy with a bike that has bolts instead of quick releases on his hubs. The bolts are 15mm, and We decided the best thing would be for him to get a stubby 15mm wrench that he could stash in a toolkit under the saddle. He went looking at sears.

So, he goes to sears, starts looking at the wall of metric wrenches, and a salesguy comes over.

"What can I help you find today?"

"I'm looking for a stubby 15 millimeter wrench."

"What size is that? 5/8ths?"

"No, It's metric."

"You mean the "em-ems? We don't have the "em-ems."

(Mind you the guy was standing in front of the metric wrench "wall.")

After the guy got out of the way my buddy found what he needed and bought it. I can't believe the economy is that bad, considering this guy had a job.

Thanks, RDW. Now I have something specific to go with and I'll be heading to sears tomorrow. Now, will that work on both 12 point and hex posts?

I really don't believe this thread made it to 3 pages...... is there really that much to talk about.

Edit: I just made it a 4 page thread!

any chain store your going to be hit or miss on associate knowledge. the official training really focuses on marketing and customer relations. very little focus is really put into product knowledge. that being said many of the associates are or were in the trades, or been there long enough to know their stuff.

that being said any sears or auto parts store should have the needed tools. home depot or lowes will vary in how much they have in the stores.

I like adjustable crescent wrenches and ratchet screwdrivers with interchangeable bits. Saves a lot of frustration on the small jobs.

Back