Can't find capper!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
Just got everything into the bottling bucket. Now we can't find our capper! How long am I good with sugar, and beer in a bucket? I won't be able to get another by the afternoon. Any help!

Green mountain high!

ha, been there done that...

Learn from this, gather all your stuff before you rack your beer, count your caps too, I have racked only to find I don't have enough caps, also, I didn't learn from that one, I racked to find that the caps I did have where rusted...

keep a brew buddy on speed dial, Can you borrow from a friend?

or just wait it out, it's like racking to a secondary, I am not sure if you bottle the next day if should add more sugar, you stand the chance of over carbing your bottles, or you could just wait a couple of day let the sugar ferment out then start again...

no big deal, IMO

I have a bunch of growlers with swing tops from hill farmstead, they're on pbw now.... That should work eh?

Green mountain high!

Growlers aren't meant to hold the pressures of carbonation but rather previously carbed beer. I wouldn't chance bottle/growler bombs by doing it.

My very first batch I bottled with swing tops. I've bottled at least one swing top in every batch since and never had one fail in any way. I've had plenty of 12oumcers explode on one batch that got infected though.

Well, I ended up bottling in swing top growlers. Hope they hold... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401377321.470502.jpg

Green mountain high!

put them in a box (to hold the glass) but the box in a big black trash bag (to hold the beer), as a precaution...

I sympathize with the OP. But I wish this thread was more humorously titled 'Can't find crapper!!!'

OP,

I've bottled into growlers without any problems of exploding bottles. The only issue I experienced was getting pretty yeasty pours after conditioning was complete. Pouring gently so as to not disturb the settled yeast is pretty difficult. Plus when you do pour a glass and set the now partially full growler back down, the beer washes back across the settled yeast and stirs things up.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I've got high hopes. I used the swing tops...are they considered grolsch caps?

Green mountain high!

Growlers aren't meant to hold the pressures of carbonation but rather previously carbed beer. I wouldn't chance bottle/growler bombs by doing it.
During carbonation, the pressure slowly increases until all of the sugars are consumed by the yeast. There's no way there can be more pressure during carbonation than after.

RyanVTBrew said:
Thanks guys. I've got high hopes. I used the swing tops...are they considered grolsch caps?
Yeah, some Grolsch products use swing tops.

During carbonation, the pressure slowly increases until all of the sugars are consumed by the yeast. There's no way there can be more pressure during carbonation than after.

Yeah, some Grolsch products use swing tops.

The pressure can be actually, since the co2 is produced and goes into the head space of the bottle. The head space will have a lot higher psi for a short period of time as the co2 enters the beer and reaches equilibrium. Fill a keg up with beer and fill it to 20 psi and take it off the hose. in a few days the psi will be much lower than 20 in the keg.

The pressure can be actually, since the co2 is produced and goes into the head space of the bottle. The head space will have a lot higher psi for a short period of time as the co2 enters the beer and reaches equilibrium. Fill a keg up with beer and fill it to 20 psi and take it off the hose. in a few days the psi will be much lower than 20 in the keg.
In the bottle, yeast produce CO2 as metabolic waste and expell this into the beer, where it is dissolved. Some will come out of solution, increasing the pressure in the head space to maintain equilibrium.

Kegging is basically the opposite. You increase the pressure in the head space and the gas dissolves in the beer to maintain equilibrium.

Back