Can't Figure Out Cider please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorswag3

Reaction score
I have made a batch of cider and I am confused about the order of fermentation. I am in primary fermentation, and I have added more sugars partway when it slowed down, to boost the alcohol content. The first batches I made were fairly clear but there was sediment at the bottom in the bottles, which I would like to minimize. I have heard that you are supposed to rack it so it can clear and then bottle it, but if I rack it can I then add more sugar and let it carbonate? Or if I want it to carbonate should I skip secondary fermentation all together? Any advice is appreciated and keep in mind I am very new. Thanks and have a good day!

Why not just add all the sugar at once and just leave it alone to do it's thing?

if you want to rack it to clear it for bottling that's a different story.
but racking it and adding more sugar defeats the purpose of racking it to clear it.

you will have to rack it again.

How I make Hard cider:
But 5 gallons of apple juice without preservatives from Aldi, or Walmart.
put in the fermentor.
add yeast and nutrient.
leave it alone until it's done.
add sorbate.
keg with 3 frozen apple juice mix's to sweeten.

if you are bottling then you have to sweeten with artificial sweetener to carb or sorbate and go for a still cider.

Why not just add all the sugar at once and just leave it alone to do it's thing?

if you want to rack it to clear it for bottling that's a different story.
but racking it and adding more sugar defeats the purpose of racking it to clear it.

you will have to rack it again.

How I make Hard cider:
But 5 gallons of apple juice without preservatives from Aldi, or Walmart.
put in the fermentor.
add yeast and nutrient.
leave it alone until it's done.
add sorbate.
keg with 3 frozen apple juice mix's to sweeten.

if you are bottling then you have to sweeten with artificial sweetener to carb or sorbate and go for a still cider.
So i basically just have to deal with the sediment in the bottles?

The sediment will settle out if you just be patient and let it happen.
You can speed up the process by chilling the cider and keeping it cold or you can add materials like gelatin or bentonite that will clear the cider faster.

The sediment will settle out if you just be patient and let it happen.
You can speed up the process by chilling the cider and keeping it cold or you can add materials like gelatin or bentonite that will clear the cider faster.
So it will clear in the bottles? what happens is that it settles, but then when I drink it it gets stirred up again. Is that inevitable?

Back