Cannular Can Seamer Semi Auto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for someone that has some experience with a can seamer - doesn't HAVE to be the one above, but it would help.

Had a canning session yesterday and for the most part, went really well. However, we had 3 cans that failed to seam correctly. I noticed that a few of the cans, when the first roller would come in to do it's thing, it would initially work but then it would stop the can from spinning. Then it would back off and the second roller would come in to finish the job and the can would start spinning again.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this is due to the table being adjusted too high and putting too much pressure on the can or if it's due to the table not being adjusted high enough and not having enough pressure on the can.

Thoughts?

I've got an Oktober with the lever so maybe different but if I bring the first op roller in too fast I can cause that. Backing off ever so slightly fixes that but that it wouldn't be an option for you. Since the top chuck driving the can, I'd think you don't have enough pressure vs too much unless the chuck is stopping.

I've got an Oktober with the lever so maybe different but if I bring the first op roller in too fast I can cause that. Backing off ever so slightly fixes that but that it wouldn't be an option for you. Since the top chuck driving the can, I'd think you don't have enough pressure vs too much unless the chuck is stopping.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try that and see how it goes.

How much tension was between the can and the part that spins it (between the moving parts of the dies)?? I find that there's a 'sweet spot' that you can tell by how much effort it takes to move the pedestal into position. It should have just enough tension to NOT move on it's own after elevated. I've not had a single bad seaming actions since I started using the semi-pro model.

I've found that the can they provide with the unit is a good gauge to tell how it should feel. You'll want to fine tune it for your set though.

I have made sure to really tighten up the handle for the pedestal to keep that from moving, at all, during use. That should be included in the instructions (don't recall if it was). Since the handle has flats on it, you can apply a wrench to them to get it to the German standard... Gudentite.

Back