Cannot Solder to save my life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Got all the parts for my stirplate ready to go. Drilled all the needed mounting holes and test fitted everything. This took about 10 minutes tops. Got out the soldering iron and tried to make the 3 or 4 connections I need. 1 hour later, 1 wire soldered, and an ugly looking connection at that. Ugh!

So this morning on the way to work a stopped and bought a crimper and a bunch of crimp on connectors. I should have done this in the first place.

There's a ton of videos on youtube that will show you how to solder. It helps to tin the wires before hand. Soldering can be a very useful skill and it isn't that difficult to learn the basics. I understand you're frustrated but don't give up.

I just crimped when making my stirplate. I already had the crimp tool and connectors so it saved me the hassle of soldering. I suck at it too...mostly because the iron I have is about 10 years old and in awful condition.

I use to do a fair bit of soldering, but that was at work and I had the right tools and did it more regularly. I didnt have any flux and my eyesight isnt what it use to be.

I plan on building a brew stand soon with some sort of automation, so I will most likely need this skill, so Ill keep practicing.

Liquid flux helps a lot. And, a good iron.

When you solder electrical connections, you need to use a flux that is meant for that. Do not use plumbers flux. Better yet, stop at Radio Shack and pick up this:
Standard Rosin-Core Solder

Never used flux, just the rosin core solder. With a decent iron I can't understand how soldering is difficult. You physically join the wires by twisting, then lay the iron on exposed end and occasionally touch the solder to the wires until it starts flowing into it.

Like I said my eyesight isnt that great anymore, and my glasses were at work. The one connection I did fine was wire to wire. The ones I failed on were to the potientiometer and the switch.

When soldering, make sure you're heating the part that is to be soldered. When the part is at the right temp, the rosin-core solder will run effortlessly onto the joint. I know when I first started soldering, I tried heating the solder to the iron or ONTO the joint, making it much tougher on myself.

You can clean flux residue off with any kind of solvent on a Q-tip. When I worked as an assembler for microwave tcom amplifiers, we used to flux the hell out of the boards and then hit them with dish soap, hot water, and a scrub brush.

Soldering when you can't see up close is not only hard to do, you also wind up breathing in fumes unless you have the proper respirator. Using crimp connectors for a stir plate is a good idea in your case and will work fine. Next time buy one of those holders with the magnifying lens @ Harbor Freight.

+1....you need a "third hand". And only use rosin cored solder....it is less corrosive than other fluxes, so the connections don't fail at a later time. As mentioned above; twist the wires together, use a damp sponge and wipe your hot iron on it. Then when it heats back up, touch a bit of solder to it to "tin" the surface. Then heat one side of your connection and just touch some solder to the other side. It should melt right in there; the braided wire will suck the solder right up and your joint should be undisturbed as it cools.

Back