Cannot get corker to work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I've got one if these hand corkers using 19mm nomacorks but I cannot seem to get it to work, it just squashes the cork and seems impossible to get onto a bottle.
Any clues as to how they work? The instructions were in Italian! :)

20180426_074218.jpg

I use the same one - using Belgian corks and champagne bottles, so my experience might be inherently easier. I've found wetting the corks a bit in star san helps them slide into the bottles. Not a long soak, just enough to wet them. Also, I've found that starting off the cork first by pushing it as far down as it'll go into the chamber of the corker with my thumb helps. Then you can line the bottler's plunger up with the center of the cork. If i don't line it up, it still bottles, but it ends up chewing up the top of the cork and shredding off a bit.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The key for me (again: champagne bottles with Belgian corks) is:
1) wetting the corks
2) starting out the cork in the corker (as described above)
3) constant pressure
4) keeping the corker perpendicular to the floor

Still not working. Wet cork, wet chamber.
It just mangles the cork.
The cork only fits in the chamber, I can't push it through the hole. Worth noting that these corks don't seem to spring back into shape after. Could they be beer bottle corks?
:confused:

Attachments

• 20180429_140610.jpg
    20180429_140610.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • 20180429_140554.jpg
    20180429_140554.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180429_140505.jpg
    20180429_140505.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Have you tried a different material of cork? Those look like synthetics, but not that that means anything. My first reaction was that those corks were too big, but maybe they're not compressing enough.

Think he said 19mm
Well that is a head-scratcher as 19mm is .748" or about 3/4" which is even smaller diameter than a #7 cork (13/16").

ECKraus which sell wine making supplies don't recommend using #7 except for odd/exceptional bottles and OP is trying to use a cork smaller than that without success. FWIW, a #8 cork is 7/8″ diameter and a #9 is 15/16".

Why not try natural cork? I use #9 cork for all my red wines and have never had a problem corking them using a double lever.

Last edited:
It could be a faulty corker. It will probably be a bit awkward, but try looking up through the bottom, with and without a cork, while you operate the handles to see if it is compressing right.

I've got one if these hand corkers using 19mm nomacorks but I cannot seem to get it to work, it just squashes the cork and seems impossible to get onto a bottle.
Any clues as to how they work? The instructions were in Italian! :)

View attachment 567501

According to Northern Brewer, you want more of a floor corker (i.e. a corker with iris-style compression mechanism) for best results with those corks. If you have a LHBS then you may be able to rent/buy a floor corker to use.

"...but we recommend a corker with an iris mechanism for best results when inserting Nomacorcs in bottles"
https://www.northernbrewer.com/nomacorc-9x1-5-synthetic-corks

Just tried a #8 cork. Same thing. It mangles the cork. Won't go through the hole at bottom of chamber.

The hole in the chamber is maybe half the size of the cork.

Just tried a #8 cork. Same thing. It mangles the cork. Won't go through the hole at bottom of chamber.

The hole in the chamber is maybe half the size of the cork.
Since 2015 I have used a $13 Ferrari double lever corker I bought on Amazon and it works great for both #8 and #9 corks. It doesn't have a cork depth adjustment screw but you can manipulate how far down you push the levers to control the depth.

I haven't tried the synthetic diam corks though but for $13 you might want to save yourself the aggravation of trying to make that corker work.

I don't know if a $67 portuguese floor corker will work with your application, but i have one for wine bottles and the thing is incredible. I could probably push a #9 cork through the eye of a needle with it. So, if there's any intent on getting another corker, just consider this. You could probably walk into your local homebrew shop and try one before buying.

Just go to that second link and read the reviews. Haha, I bet you get one after that.

Corks I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064GW1H4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Corker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007PTG1C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
On the hand corkers, how much smaller is the hole than the cork on the bottom of the chamber?

Back