Canning your priming solution?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerG

Reaction score
I am a relatively rookie brewer (20 batches), but I am thinking about beginning to can my priming solutions. My partner and I have canned her jams on several occasions, and we have a canning kettle. Today I was thinking about how every time I bottle, I have to measure out sugar, collect a proper volume of water, boil it, and chill it before adding it to my brew- just another bottling day task. I figure I could do this for several brews at once by canning in small jars, and have packaged priming solution for your brew day ready in the pantry. Each jar could could have the maximum required amount of priming sugar and be labeled with the total grams of sugar dissolved in solution and stored in the pantry! Of course, all jars and solutions would be properly "sterilized" using boiling water and proper canning techniques (sterilized is in quotes because some strains of bacteria produce spores that can survive boiling temperatures but hey, what can you do). On bottling day, you could pop open a jar, grab a graduated cylinder, add the proper percentage of the solution needed for your desired carbonation, and pitch it into your bottling bucket (or keg). Heck, if your consistent enough with your beer bottling volume outputs, you could dilute the sugar solutions going into the jars according to the desired carbonation level for given beer styles, and label them accordingly!

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism?
:mug:

So you would prepare each one separately?

With the miniscule possibility of infection, and the fact that it saves little time or trouble, I would not. But do as you want! It is your bottling day.

I find that I can boil priming while sanitizing bottles and syphon hose.

Yeah,
It may seem like overkill, but you could do several little jars in one canning session. It would maybe take about 30 minutes in total, and you could do around 10 small jars. That's 10 brew sessions. It takes me about 10 minutes in total (not including chilling) to prep it on bottling day, not to mention having to think about measurement, spilling, risk of error each time. So you save some time, and stress on your bottling day. I might give it a shot, and report back.

I guess it seemed exciting when I though about it. Thinking about it again. It does seem a little ridiculous for such a small thing

Nothing wrong with that. I used to do that before I started kegging. I hate boiling and cooling things when I need them. Especially starter wort. But priming sugar as well. I'd rather just pressure up a bunch of sutff I know I'll need and then not have to worry about it for a while.

Latest posts

Back