Canning Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowlingHog

Reaction score
I brewed a 20 gal batch of Ed Wort's Bee Cave Haus Ale two weeks ago. It's been in the fermentor and I will likely keg tomorrow.

I pulled a gallon of wort from my mash tun, and put it in a sanitized jar and refrigerated it, with the intention of canning it for a starter. Time got away from me, and there it sits...

How should I proceed?

Should I still can it?

Should I just keep it chilled and boil and chill before adding yeast for my next starter.

There is a giant thread on this if u search deep enough and have enough time to read it all, but what it comes down to is if u want to can wort u need to use a pressure canner or u can store it in the fridge and 'should' b able to just pitch the yeast in that but to be ultra safe if you boil the refrigerated wort, then chill and add yeast you are fine. There is also the option of freezing wort....I think that needs to b done right away.

Wort from your mash tun will spoil just like any other liquid in the refrigerator, now if you are going to use it in the next 2 or 3 days then you are fine, but for long term storage I would definitely invest in a pressure cooker.

For your wort if stored in the refrigerator I would just boil it before using it. Nothing is worse than ruining a 5 gallon batch of beer do to one simple mistake.

Canned 4 quarts. 15 psi for 15 minutes. Surprising how much sediment came through. Jars all sealed. Will see how it works!

Back