Canning Wort Question: Gauge reading low or okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently got a pressure canner to can wort for starters. i did a test run w/ a 15 lb weight on it and the gauge went to just under the 15 lb mark with the weight rocking steadily. See pic below. When i turned the heat higher to increase the pressure the weight started rocking pretty violently. not sure how precise i need to be or if this is more of a horseshoes game. Thanks.

IMG_5403.JPG

Weights are factory calibrated, and stay that way forever. Gauges are meant to have their calibration checked yearly, and adjusted if necessary. Your altitude shouldn't affect anything, so you should be good to go.

boiled at 15 psi for 20 minutes. this is how it came out. is the cloudiness at the bottom normal for pressure canned wort?
IMG_5406.JPG

I try to leave the chunks behind, but honestly... If it all went in, it would all end up compacted at the bottom eventually anyway. It's just hot break material, no big deal.

Latest posts

Back