Canning Starter Wort - Any advantage to Wide Mouth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
I will be picking up a pressure canner shortly to can starter wort. I was browsing some canning supplies in the hardware store today and realized that there are two different types of jars - wide mouth and regular. Seems like roughly a half-inch diameter difference.

Does it matter? I will be washing them in the dishwasher, so it's not like i will be needing to get my entire hand in there. Any other reason to choose one over the other? Looks like the wide mouths are about a buck more a case, which is no big deal but no point in spending money for no reason whatsoever.

Just curious. Thanks.

I can't see why it would really matter, with the wide mouth jars it might be harder to keep the break stuff from getting into your starter.
With the narrow mouth jars I can keep the 'brains' from getting into the flask.
Everything else being equal, I'd sure base the decision on price.

EDIT: I DO prefer the pint size wide mouth for holding test tubes upright while I autoclave them for yeast ranching.
So I guess my final recommendation is narrow mouth quarts and wide mouth pints.

Back