cane sugar or corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikewb

Reaction score
I have brewed before with corn sugar (dextrose), finding cane sugar caused headaches. What is the current usage of cane sugar? Does it have to be inverted with cream of tartar or lemon juice?

I'm not sure what you mean by "inverted", but it's normally used just like corn sugar - just not as much needed for the same effect. I've used it many times, both in the boil and for priming.

Corn sugar is a monosaccharide (dextrose, easily digestible by yeast) and cane sugar is a diglyceride (made up of glucose and fructose, not easily digestible by yeast). Do home brewers today commonly use cane sugar? Inversion is the breaking apart of the glucose and fructose by boiling, with tartaric acid, or citric acid. My experience with cane sugar did not turn out well.
Thank you for any information.

IME cane sugar is very easily fermentable by yeast. I use it often in tripels, golden strongs, and DIPA's. Dries them out really well. I personally can't tell the difference between cane sugar, corn sugar, and clear candi sugar in the final product.

I have brewed before with corn sugar (dextrose), finding cane sugar caused headaches

I was not the the cane sugar that caused headaches. They were caused by fermenting too warm and creating fusels, not the type of sugar used.

Cane, corn or beet sugar will ferment out completely and I would challenge anyone to say thay can taste the difference.

I just used table sugar in a Belgian pale ale (Revvy's recipe) and it finished at 1.008. That's my first use of sugar, but the hydro sample was fantastic. No indication that additional sugar was added. Kyle

Table sugar (cane or beet) will give you the EXACT same results as corn sugar (dextrose). The only possible difference it might take a bit longer, but I'm guessing this is measure in a day or two (bottling) or hours (fermentation). I've used cane sugar for fermentation, apfelwein, priming bottles for many years without any issue. I started with corn sugar; when I made the switch, I don't remember noticing any difference at all.

Note that table sugar is crystalline and doesn't absorb water, whereas corn sugar does. So, use 9% less table sugar when you measure by weight.

The only advantage I can think of for corn sugar is it seems to dissolve more easily. For fermentation, it doesn't matter, and for bottling I boiled it and it dissolved immediately anyway.

Thanks to all of you for your information; I will again try cane sugar. Have a good day.

Latest posts

Back