Candle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTOVERMOHLE

Reaction score
Admin move to proper board if this isn't it......

So, I really like the smell of wort boiling. I could leave my head over the boil pot for the whole 60 (or 90) minutes of the boil. Anyone know (or maybe their wives are crafty candle makers) how one could turn that into a candle I can burn on some of my non brew days? Could i just take some spent grains and mix it with some candle wax, melt and pour into a vessel and add a wick?

Maybe I'm a little off my rocker.

Any helpers out there??

Admin move to proper board if this isn't it......

So, I really like the smell of wort boiling. I could leave my head over the boil pot for the whole 60 (or 90) minutes of the boil. Anyone know (or maybe their wives are crafty candle makers) how one could turn that into a candle I can burn on some of my non brew days? Could i just take some spent grains and mix it with some candle wax, melt and pour into a vessel and add a wick?

Maybe I'm a little off my rocker.

Any helpers out there??

I occasionally make candles - it's really easy actually. Pretty much what you said above. I use mostly soy wax with some bees wax added to keep it from melting outdoors. All of the scent comes from whatever scent you add to the wax before you pour it. In this case, you'd want something to simulate the smell of barley wort, and maybe some hop oil (if that's your thing). You can buy hop oil or extract it yourself (something else that I've done). Adding spent grain to your candle won't create any kind of scent.

I have a steam extraction system that can extract the oil out of most materials. I never considered trying it on barley. I doubt there is much oil in there though, so not likely to produce enough for a candle.

Brambleberry is a good site for candlemaking. Could have a look and see if there is a fragrance there that might get close to wort. I'm sure they have cookies and such.
https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-by-craft/candles/fragrance-oils

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I made candles, never thought about combining it with homebrewing. Hop oils are a great idea. Interested to see other responses.

I occasionally make candles - it's really easy actually. Pretty much what you said above. I use mostly soy wax with some bees wax added to keep it from melting outdoors. All of the scent comes from whatever scent you add to the wax before you pour it. In this case, you'd want something to simulate the smell of barley wort, and maybe some hop oil (if that's your thing). You can buy hop oil or extract it yourself (something else that I've done). Adding spent grain to your candle won't create any kind of scent.

I have a steam extraction system that can extract the oil out of most materials. I never considered trying it on barley. I doubt there is much oil in there though, so not likely to produce enough for a candle.

Brambleberry is a good site for candlemaking. Could have a look and see if there is a fragrance there that might get close to wort. I'm sure they have cookies and such.
https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-by-craft/candles/fragrance-oils

Thanks for the info....i'll check out brambleberry

Back