Can you use Guinness Gas with hard apple cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield43

Reaction score
The saga of my Facebook marketplace deal continues...

The tanks that came with all the other stuff are labeled for Nitrogen / CO2 mix.
Turns out they still have gas in them as well.
I don't know how much, I need to look around for a tare weight and then weigh them.

Is there any use for 75% Nitrogen 25% CO2 other than pumping Guinness?
Can you use it with hard apple cider?
If I was going to do that should I force carb it with the Nitrogen mix or is it ok to naturally carb it?

The regulators that came with this lot fit the Guinness tanks.
When I empty these tanks and take them in for exchange towards CO2 tanks I suspect I will get tanks with CGA 320 fittings.
I have looked on Amazon, they have adaptors so at least I won't have to buy a new set of regulators.

I continue to be amazed at how many twists and turns the purchase of a couple of jockey boxes and tanks can have.
Oh well, I am crawling up that bell shaped learning curve.
Next time I buy somthing used I know to check and see if the lines are dirty and the green diamond on the neck band of a tank means inert, not necessarily straight CO2.

Any beer can be made a nitro beer as far as I know. Will it fit the style or not is an entirely different question, but it will functionally work. Making a nitro cider could be a fun experiment.

As @cgoldberg3 says all could be served with nitro gas. Should they be is personal and practical choice. You won't get a thick creamy head on your cider just because you push it with beer gas. Probably end up with a quite flat cider. Yes I would naturally carb it but not very much other wise you'll get a lot of foam. This will be less if you don't use a stout spout.
So you have Nitrogen posts on your regulators ?
I wanted to change the post / connector on my spare CO 2 regulator to fit onto an oxygen cylinder. Bought the new post but could not get the other one off. Think it had been attached by a lowland gorilla with a very long spanner ( maybe a panda as china made ).

You might find that a friendly gas filler will actually just put CO2 in that tank for you.

My guy puts Beer gas in one of my CO2 cylinders so I can use the kegland reg on it. Your Guinness cylinder may well be able to take more beer gas than my CO2 cylinder ( it's a physics thing).

I haven't got any cider on draught so I can't test a nitro dispense for you.

I think these are my regulators:
Micro Mark Nitrogen Regulator
micro-eco-PR-1P-N2-regulator-2T.jpg

It looks like I should be able to put a socket and breaker bar on the end of the CGA 580 fitting and remove and replace it with a CGA 320 if the need should arise.
BTW both Primary connections (the input from the tank and the output to the gauge) are marked LEFTHAND on the back of the regulator.
I assume that means left-hand (backwards) threads.
Did you try turning both ways?
It may not have been torqued by an 800 pound panda.

Tried both ways, looks like the same connector for an Oxygen cylinder on your regulator.

I think one Panda held it and the other turned the spanner. The man at BOC where I bought and returned the stem for a refund said they can be tight. Probably has some thread lock on it, but I couldn't see any.

In addition to making it bubbly, co2 adds flavor to the beer in the form of carbonic "bite" Using nitrogen will alter the taste. I'm not saying it will be better or worse, it will be different.

I think that draught cider and bottled benefits from that CO2 tang. But cider can be drunk flat as scrumpy. Had it many times in the west country and that is probably the effect you'll get with a nitro pour cider.

Crank it to 50 psi and the carb level will be fine, you may need a 50 foot line to serve it. Assuming your taps will hold that pressure. Or with a larger diameter line you could serve 90 feet in the air... alright, no, not much good use. How about purges and lodo transfers, no oxygen in that tank. Just don't try to carb with it.:cool:

Back