Can you use a CAMCO 4500 W Element in Europe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BretBeermann

Reaction score
The typical CAMCO elements that are used in the states are quite affordable. I've got 240 V service in Europe and was considering bringing one back to install in my boil kettle. I understand circuitry and electricity quite well but am unsure how the difference in phases works in regards to wiring and whether any adjustments would need to be made to get the element to work on European 240 V service if it is purchased in America. I've yet to see information in the forums regarding such usage.

50hz vs 60hz shouldn't make a difference. What important is the voltage and the amperage of the circuit. It's essentially a big resistor. (B.S. Electrical Engineering)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 to the above ... the heating elements are 240V AC so any 240V source will work. You can even use 208V or 220V sources, but you'll get slightly lower power output.

Kal

50hz vs 60hz shouldn't make a difference. What important is the voltage and the amperage of the circuit. It's essentially a big resistor. (B.S. Electrical Engineering)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
I have an associates in Electrical Engineering Technology and I second what this guy says.

Phases should not enter into it at all as far as I know. I would guess that you have single phase in Europe the same as we do here. Bottom line is you put your meter across the two wires you hook to it and read the voltage. That is what is delivered to the element.

Enjoy your stay and drink some good beer. :mug:

Back