Can you split up a brew day (mash/boil)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Alright, this weekend (4 days for us state employees) my wife has decided to take the kids to new jersey to visit family. So, with the house to myself for 4 days I am hoping to brew about 15 to 20 gallons of beer.

Im thinking to maximize my output and deal with equipment restraints it would be awesome if I could kick the weekend off with a mash on Thurs night to boil on Friday morning. I would be doing a 5 gallon batch, batch sparge with mashout.

Question: Is there anything wrong about mashing and then storing the wort hot (150 +), then resuming the brew day the next day?

Process: Mash with batch sparge, mash out to stop the enzymatic activity of the mash and then collect my wort. Then pump the wort back into the mash tun (10 gallon Cooler) for storage for the next morning. about 12 hours later, fire up the burner and boil it. Then repeat that in the evening for the next morning.

Pros/Cons? Thoughts? Fears? Observations?

Sure, you can mash and boil in two consecutive sessions.

Some do an overnight mash, while others collect runnings and boil the following day.

Continues enzyme activity during the mash can be countered by mashing slightly higher than planned. Heating the wort above pasteurizing temps can thwart lacto activity.

Have fun!!!

Don Osborn has done it. Mashes and sparges, collects the wort and boils the next day.

He talks about it a bit at the beginning of this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a great way to brew if you can't get the full time slot available in a single day. I make sure the wort hits 180 or so before the interruption, to slow/stop enzymatic activity (unless I want to effectively mash all night for a dopplebock, barley wine, BGS, etc). It does take more time and heat energy overall, but sure makes the brew day less packed.

Up here in da nord, when brewing lagers in winter, I often stretch the process out for 3 days. After the boil on day 2, I'll set the chilled-to-room-temp kettle out in the garage over night. This gives extra time to settle out the break and gets the wort as cold as you need, depending on conditions...

So I'm thinking of doing a regular 5 gal batch of a Belgian Blonde or Saison and a small 2 gallon batch of some type of a Lager. I've never done a lager and figure if I do a small experimental batch no problem.

So I actually thought of doing my mash at night for the Ale and BIAB for the lager; then either the next morning before work or next night after work to do the boil. So what you're suggesting is after you've mashed out, heat to 180* before allowing to cool off and then store for the night? What would happen if you only drained to get your pre-boil volume and then poured in a bucket or carboy without raising to 180?

Looking at your avatar, I think the best plan is you take me fishing and I'll bring the lagers!

If you can reliably hit a mash out at 170 or whatever you target, and it's that temp all through your mash, and you're at that temp for enough time (20+ min is my guess), then you're probably good to go. That should off most of the bacteria, and denature most of the enzymes.

That's not what I do though. I generally skip a real MO in the tun, and instead drain off to the kettle and raise that to 180. I'd rather spend the time and energy that way. It gives me some extra warm-fuzzies because some heat hits the kettle, which helps kill any bactos lurking there, and I feel more confident about denaturing enzymes as well. My beers are generally dry enough as is, as that's my main concern. I'm not too worried about bacteria overnight, but once I did have to leave the wort sitting for two nights because I could not get to the boil when planned.

As for draining into a carboy or a bucket, I'd avoid that. I don't know what temp shock it takes to crack a carboy, and I avoid plastic&heat as much as I can in my brewery (perhaps just paranoid).

A 2 gal lager batch is a good size - easier to chill, and you could pitch direct at that volume, with no worries about a starter. Be sure to get a good boil with lagers, esp when using this over night procedure. I don't know for a fact, but I have to wonder if the extended resting period at hot temps before the boil, results in more DMS potential.

Back