Can you smell hot fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
So i brewed a 1.050 beer which i splitted into 4 different 1 gallon fermenters to test different dry yeasts. I do water treatment, ph control, yeast food and rehydrate yeast. I put all of the beers into a swamp cooler.
A big heat wave hit the country and by about 24 hours after pitching the swamp cooler temperatures have risen to 75F.
I pitched US05, Lall. Windsor, MJ Burton Ale and MJ Belgian Ale. (I heat the latter with an aquarium heater to 90F since pitching)
The krausen dropped around 48 hours on all of them except for the Windsor and the US05 batch even cleared out, bubbles basically stopped everywhere by 72 hours except on the Windsor.
When I smell the neck of the carboys I can only smell a bit of sulfur and some citrusy stuff, no rotten fruit esters or anything. The fermentation is now on the fourth day, 3 of them looks finished except for the Windsor which still have some krausen.
Do you think the heat ruined my beers or I can still dryhop and bottle them?
Shouldn't my English strains smell like all kinds of fruits due to the high ferm. temp?

The english will be fruity, but 75 isnt too tragic. (not ideal, but it isnt like 85, where you would be more likely to get rotten grapefruit esters, and hot fusel-y hangover death) Really, low to mid 70s is fine with most ale yeasts, and most esters are in the first 48 hours, and half that time it was lower. And while you want to have a consistent fermentation temps for repeatability, consistency, etc; the difference people tend to exaggerate.

Id dryhop and bottle them up.

Back