Can you name every cider you have tried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I thought I posted this once before but can't seem to find it so here we go...

Name all of the ciders you have tried. If you can't name them all, name all of your favorites.

Here is my list=

Angry orchard:
•Ginger Apple
•Traditional dry
•Crisp apple
•Strawman (Premium)
Wyder's:
•Pear
•Raspberry
•Apple
Newton's Folly:
•Authentic
•Granny smith
Woodchuck:
•Amber
•Pear
Ace:
•Pear
Magners:
•Original
•Pear
Crispin:
•Original (Blue Line)
•Honey Crisp
•Browns lane
•The Saint
•Bare Naked (Single Strength Reserve)
Hornsby:
•Crisp Apple
•Amber draft
Michelob Ultra light cider:
Strongbow:
Blackthorn:
Sir Parry:
Farmhouse:
Aspall:
•Dry
Etienne Dupont:
•Brut De Normandie
Clos Normand:
Fox barrel:
•Pear Naked
•Pacific Pear
•Apricot Pear
Hogans:
•Dry cider
Wandering Aengus:
•Bloom
•Wanderlust
•Wickson
Original Sin:
Henney's:
Spire:
•Dark & Dry
•Apple
Kiss Cider: From Lithuania
•Pear
•Strawberry
•Cherry
Samuel Smith's Organic:
Anthem:
•Hops
•Cider (Apple)
•Pear
•Cherry
Julian:
•Original
•Black & Blue
•Cherry Bomb
Apple Sauced:
•Save the Gravenstein
Two Rivers Cider:
•Pomegranate
Tilted Shed Ciderworks:
•January Barbecue Smoke
Tieton Cider Works:
•Wild Washington apple
•Blossom Nectar
•Yakima Valley Dry Hopped
J.K.'S Scrumpy Orchard Gate Gold

Always remember to edit your list as you try new cider!

You are far, far, FAR ahead of me. So far,

Strongbow
Okanagan peach
Okanagan apple
Okanagan pear
Cider made by a micro brewry on Vancouver island
7 of my own

Bluespark said:
You are far, far, FAR ahead of me. So far,

Strongbow
Okanagan peach
Okanagan apple
Okanagan pear
Cider made by a micro brewry on Vancouver island
7 of my own

Your list soundsl interesting dude... How was the Pear Okanagan and the Microbrewrys?
Remember, its all about quality.... Lots of mine are barely mentionable, but those Okanagans sound interesting!
:mug:

I've had Strong bow, and maybe one other. I thinking somebody needs to share his wealth!

Ive drank some bad ciders lol frostyjack white lighting haha a drink stongbow all the time but if my first batch turns out like that a will be a happy camper ha

and also for a while strongbow bought out a super cider what wis 8% you could run your car on it

terryf3661 said:
and also for a while strongbow bought out a super cider what wis 8% you could run your car on it

Just finished my apple/cedar/cherry...
Bottle conditioned some so it won't be ready for a month or so but I force carbonated some just to drink with a really awesome little tool called the "Carbonator" by Liguid Bread. It was 8.56%ABV And now I'm toasted!!!

Whoa, Badger. Can I just copy your list, but cross about 75% of the names off? Lol.

I need about 5 to 7 more years before I can go back out 'road testing' again. (Kids)

WilliamSlayer said:
Whoa, Badger. Can I just copy your list, but cross about 75% of the names off? Lol.

I need about 5 to 7 more years before I can go back out 'road testing' again. (Kids)

Lol.... Don't worry they will be 18 one of these days...
Give us your list bud. And next time you have a new cider just come back and add it to your list.

Stuff I've had thanks to the local import store's HUGE beer/wine section:
-Most of the angry orchards. All good and crisp ciders.
-Strongbow, godly elixer of the soccer hooligan.
-Nomad, which I think is from Michigan. VERY beery, to the point of tasting immature. Did not like. A possible source for squat little bottles if you don't like Red Stripe though.
-Crispin. Very mild, but good stuff. The bottle says to serve over ice, but I think that might kill it. Miller owns them now so we'll see how that pans out.
-Woodpecker. Another good Bulmer's cider that is being gradually phased out; it's a sweet pub cider but Strongbow served draft is already sweeter and lower proof than in bottles.
-Torpedo. Average English-style cider from Canada.
-Ace pumpkin. I thought it was awful myself, and the ingredients show water alarmingly high up. Perhaps the unflavored varieties are nicer.
-Magners. Another decent Bulmer cider, but I like Strongbow more. Irish style.
-Fox Barrel. It's made in the same brewery as Crispin but is a little bolder. Good but not standout in any way.

I just added a new cider to my list, that's Scrumpy at the bottom...

I received a bottle of "JKs Winter Solstice" (I think it's called Winteruption now) for Christmas and really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of sweeter ciders, but the complexity of this was really nice. Definitely a great sipper while watching the kiddies open presents. I had never tasted fermented maple syrup before and I have to say, there's a lot of flavor layers in this one.

Pickled_Pepper said:
I'm not a huge fan of sweeter ciders, but the complexity of this was really nice...... there's a lot of flavor layers in this one.

I'm with you. I don't normally like sweet but just as you said, good complexity to balance .

I'm with you. I don't normally like sweet but just as you said, good complexity to balance .

That's just it! It's not really 'sweetness' per se that leads me to sweeter ciders, but the fact that most of the dry ciders I've had are dull and monotone. Find me a 'complex' dry cider and I would probally enjoy it. :)

WilliamSlayer said:
That's just it! It's not really 'sweetness' per se that leads me to sweeter ciders, but the fact that most of the dry ciders I've had are dull and monotone. Find me a 'complex' dry cider and I would probally enjoy it. :)

It's not a Sweet cider but if you want to try something that's dry and complex and really awesome try the Tieton Yakima Vally Hopped... Probably one of my favorite ciders!

I just added a new cider to my list, that's Scrumpy at the bottom...

JK's cider is the reason I started brewing my own! It's sooo yum! Can't decide which of their 3 varieties that I like best. As soon as I see the Winter on the shelf though, I realize life is good!!!

JtotheA said:
JK's cider is the reason I started brewing my own! It's sooo yum! Can't decide which of their 3 varieties that I like best. As soon as I see the Winter on the shelf though, I realize life is good!!!

NICE! , now lets get back to it... :)
Give us your list...

Haha well out of the brands that anyone can buy from the store,
Woodchuck
Angry Orchard
Ace
Woodpecker
Fox Barrel
Strongbow
Magners (berry and pear were good)
Wyders
Crispin (Honeycrisp was good)
Original Sin
JK
Julien (cherry bomb was very good)
...none were really worth mentioning except good ole JK's. 3 varieties...Orchard Gate Gold, Winter Solstice (Winteruption as PickledPepper mentioned) and Northern Neighbor.
-Clos Normand (my only French selection...definitely worth mentioning!)
-Virtue (Red Streak, Lapinette, The Mitten...these three only available in Chicago on tap for now). Virtue Cider is the former Goose Island brewmaster's (Greg Hall?) new endevour.
Wish I remembered more names from the Chicago Cider Summit... Doc's, Prima.

Speaking of Woodchuck, I think this winter's winter woodchuck wasn't as good as last year's. Too oaky, not mild and fresh like it was before.

Autumn is still the best seasonal imo

Does anyone have a simple recipe for a cider in the style of Crispin? The label on the bottle states, "fermented fresh apple juice."
Is it really that simple? My local brew shop advised an ale yeast and I went with US-04. My thought was to buy a good, high-quality organic apple juice from the local co-op and add a bit of honey then simply pitch with the 04.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How long would one ferment and bottle condition something like this? This would be my first home cider brew and I'm looking forward to starting it!

Does anyone have a simple recipe for a cider in the style of Crispin? The label on the bottle states, "fermented fresh apple juice."
Is it really that simple? My local brew shop advised an ale yeast and I went with US-04. My thought was to buy a good, high-quality organic apple juice from the local co-op and add a bit of honey then simply pitch with the 04.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How long would one ferment and bottle condition something like this? This would be my first home cider brew and I'm looking forward to starting it!

Crispin has been talked about in many threads. You should chk some of them out!

The short answer is no, its not easy to replicate because they Filter their cider, sweeten it, and add Malic acid to increase tartness. I can reccomend using your safale-04 (or Nottingham) and then adding a bit of malic for tartness. Good luck!

Back