SG list of commercial ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
I'm working to expand this list and want to try to keep it all in one place. For your use and entertainment.

Where not specifically indicated, the SG listed is from my own testing.

Magner's. SG 1.011 4.5%

Somersby's original SG 1.032 4.5%

Foundry golden cider SG 1.012 4.5%

Thornbury premium SG 1.010 5.3%

Rekorderlig wild berry cider SG 1.036 7.0%

Growers honey crisp SG 1.028 5.0%

Sir perry traditional English style perry SG 1.019 6.0%

Hornsby's Hard Crisp Cider SG 1.026 Thanks to Siebercider

Angry Orchard SG 1.030 Thanks to Gilligan

Angry Orchard Traditional Dry SG 1.020 Thanks to Gilligan and Gitmoe

Michelob Ultra Light Cider SG 1.010 Thanks to Siebercider

Woodchuck SG 1.045 Thanks to WilliamSlayer

Angry Orchard Crisp Apple SG 1.026-1.030 Thanks to Jackson09 and Gitmoe

Angry Orchard Cinnful SG1.028 Thanks to Gitmoe

Commonwealth Traditional Dry SG 1.018 Thanks to Gitmoe

Commonwealth Razzberet Tart SG 1.030 Thanks to Gitmoe

J.K.'s (Michigan Craft Cidery/Orchard) Cuvee Winterruption Farmhouse SG 1.012 Thanks to Gitmoe

Tempt 9 strawberry and lime flavoured cider SG 1.036 4.5%

Sir Perry Berry SG 1.022 6%

Black fly spiced rum mulled cider SG 1.032 7.0%

County cider company, county cider 1.006 6.5%

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For what it's worth I couldn't bring myself to drink all of the rekorderling. I tried but I ended up dumping the last 1/4 of it or so. It wasn't just the sugar content but the flavour as well. I know some people must like it. Since they still sell it, just not to me.

Unfortunately. As I go through the ciders that some friends brought me, I have found that they got me two of that brand. :(

Magner's...... Makes me shudder. What is that weird taste?

Thanks for the list!

I'll try to periodically update this list, and if anyone has results they'd like to add, please post in the thread and I'll edit the first post to include that data.

These are numbers right from the bottle, right?

The alcohol percentage is straight from the bottle/can.

As for the SG, I can't vouch for the figures from everyone else, but the ones I pulled myself came from taking a sample, and using my hydrometer, and then drinking that sample after I finished whatever was left in the glass. (except the Rekorderling, I couldn't do it)

A song about how awful Magners is...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-yu7JT4QEU[/ame]

Rekorderlig shouldn't even be called a cider. Ought to be against the law.

I'll try to limit my personal editorial on which ones are good or bad, and should or shouldn't be considered cider, but secretly, I agree with you on your statement about Rekorderlig.

At the very least, I'll keep my editorials out of the list at top.
The Tempt 9 might not be what most people would consider a cider, but at least it tasted much better than the Rekorderlig. Speaking of, does anyone want to trade ANY other commercial cider for my spare unloved Rekorderlig? Toronto, west end.

Fair enough on leaving taste out of the list, but if I remember correctly Rekorderlig is less than 30% apple juice. I don't think it's unfair to suggest that it shouldn't even be called cider in the first place. Other fruit additives are fine and dandy, but I don't think they should be allowed to call it cider unless it's mostly fruit juice! :)

I have had a couple different options of the Angry Orchard and all of them in this area are 5%.

Fair enough on leaving taste out of the list, but if I remember correctly Rekorderlig is less than 30% apple juice. I don't think it's unfair to suggest that it shouldn't even be called cider in the first place. Other fruit additives are fine and dandy, but I don't think they should be allowed to call it cider unless it's mostly fruit juice! :)

I'm inclined to agree, but I'm just building the list based on what's marketed and/or sold as. If it's got cider on the container or you find it in the cider section it's fair game if you want your SG measurements added to the list.

Sir perry berry I find fairly close in flavour to rekorderlig but not as offensive.

That last one really shouldn't be on there. As I'm sure there is 0 fermented apple juice on it. But rules is rules.

Added a new dryish cider by the county cider company.

had some angry orchard crisp apple cider today, and clocke it at 1.028 which falls in the range above

Couldn't edit the original post anymore

Brickworks Ciderhouse, Batch : 1904 premium dry craft cider SG 1.008 5% ABV
Molson canadian stone fruit cider SG 1.020 5%
Blackthorn SG 1.010 6%
Somersby blackberry 1.031 4.5%

for the brickworks ciderhouse, that one is interesting to me because it's local to my city, and in a place where I have done some urban exploring. Per the can, it's made exclusively with hand-picked heritage cider apples from the georgian bay, and niagara regions of ontario. small batch and slow fermented. it's not all that dry though, tasty though

It should be criminal to call anything above 1.010 Dry.

Lol totally agree. Over the last few weeks I've gone to a couple of specialty shops and asked what they had in a dry cider.
Most looked at me perplexed but everyone of them said Magners.
Which I actually don't mind.
I haven't come across many ciders that aren't crazy sweet with the exception of Samual Smith Organic cider. Which is probably my favorite cider now and even that is probably over 1.010 I bet. And that is really expensive cider too at 7.99 a 6 pack.

Molson canadian stone fruit cider Not sure how I feel about this one, all the stone fruit flavouring is from added "flavouring"

It's best to, but spinning the hydrometer to shake loose any bubbles seems to do a pretty good job.

Added somersby blackberry and that's the last of my Christmas ciders that aren't already on the list

So a little while back I realized that my Hydrometer reads about 3% high, so I’m reposting the list with the adjusted values for the Ciders that I tested, as well as adding Molson Canadian Cider and trying to sort the list slightly.

Magner's. SG 1.010 4.5%
Somersby's original SG 1.030 4.5%
Somersby blackberry 1.029 4.5%
Foundry golden cider SG 1.011 4.5%
Thornbury premium SG 1.009 5.3%
Rekorderlig wild berry cider SG 1.034 7.0%
Growers honey crisp SG 1.026 5.0%
Sir perry traditional English style perry SG 1.018 6.0%
Sir Perry Berry SG 1.021 6%
Hornsby's Hard Crisp Cider SG 1.026 Thanks to Siebercider
Angry Orchard SG 1.030 Thanks to Gilligan
Angry Orchard Traditional Dry SG 1.020 Thanks to Gilligan and Gitmoe
Angry Orchard Crisp Apple SG 1.026-1.030 Thanks to Jackson09 and Gitmoe
Angry Orchard Cinnful SG1.028 Thanks to Gitmoe
Michelob Ultra Light Cider SG 1.010 Thanks to Siebercider
Woodchuck SG 1.045 Thanks to WilliamSlayer
Commonwealth Traditional Dry SG 1.018 Thanks to Gitmoe
Commonwealth Razzberet Tart SG 1.030 Thanks to Gitmoe
J.K.'s (Michigan Craft Cidery/Orchard) Cuvee Winterruption Farmhouse SG 1.012 Thanks to Gitmoe
Tempt 9 strawberry and lime flavoured cider SG 1.034 4.5%
Black fly spiced rum mulled cider SG 1.030 7.0%
County cider company, county cider 1.006 6.5%
Brickworks Ciderhouse, Batch : 1904 premium dry craft cider SG 1.008 5% ABV
Molson canadian stone fruit cider SG 1.019 5%
Molson Canadian Cider 1.023 5.0%
Blackthorn SG 1.009 6.0%
Original Sin Hard Cider 1.008 6.0% Thanks to Slym2none
Smith and Forge 1.025 6.0% Thanks to WilliamSlayer
Stella Artois Cidre 1.020 4.5% Thanks to WilliamSlayer
Kurant Cider - Tropic (pineapple infused dry cider) - 1.001 Thanks to Gitmoe, SGs provided by brewery
Kurant Cider - Earth (mosaic dry hopped dry cider) - 1.008 Thanks to Gitmoe, SGs provided by brewery
Kurant Cider - Nacho (fresno pepper infused cider with honey) - 1.015 Thanks to Gitmoe, SGs provided by brewery

Cider is becoming the new, cool, wine cooler to drink for many folks. Looking at the amounts of residual sugars in the ciders, makes you realize that folks are looking to satisfy their sweet tooth as well as have an alcoholic drink. I am NOT knocking anyone's taste preferences. Just making an observation. I recently bought a 12 pack of Strongbow cider, and got many comments from the backyard BBQ crowd of how much it tasted like wine coolers.

I am curious as to how Original Sin and Angry Orchard's Hop'n Mad would test out, as well as the main Woodchuck varieties. Woodchuck's Granny Smith varietal isn't overly sweet, same with the AO I listed. Original Sin is pretty dry, as they use champagne yeast to ferment with. It's definitely the lowest calorie cider I can find (that I care for - sorry, Michelob).

If you've got them send one over and I'll add it to the list, or test it and send over the results.

Cider is becoming the new, cool, wine cooler to drink for many folks. Looking at the amounts of residual sugars in the ciders, makes you realize that folks are looking to satisfy their sweet tooth as well as have an alcoholic drink. I am NOT knocking anyone's taste preferences. Just making an observation. I recently bought a 12 pack of Strongbow cider, and got many comments from the backyard BBQ crowd of how much it tasted like wine coolers.

And it's not as sweet as Angry Orchard Crisp. One of my local taverns switched from AO to Strongbow on tap because people said it was too sweet.

And it's not as sweet as Angry Orchard Crisp. One of my local taverns switched from AO to Strongbow on tap because people said it was too sweet.

I admit I was not thinking of this thread at the time we were trying them, so I did not take a gravity reading! If I ever have another, I will post the gravity here! Its for the good of the comunity that i go buy some more ciders.... ;-)

If you want to donate for the bottle, I can get one and take a reading with the hydrometer I plan on buying Thursday!

:D

Now that I'm in production with my own commercial cider company should I post the gravity for our ciders?

Sure. I mean, not publishing it won't do anything except make it 5% harder to determine. If a competitor cared, they could just buy one bottle and measure it...

Kurant Cider - Tropic (pineapple infused dry cider) - 1.001
Kurant Cider - Earth (mosaic dry hopped dry cider) - 1.008
Kurant Cider - Nacho (fresno pepper infused cider with honey) - 1.015

I'll post more as we put them out. Not that most of you will be able to get this cider unless you live in or near Philly...

Back