Can you have too much Scoby? The answer is ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morden2004

Reaction score
Yes!

After a several slow fermentations and poor results, I rationalized that my old scoby "mass" was growing too large for my 25 liter (6 US gallon) brew fermenter. This scoby was the diameter of my fermenter (about 24") and quite thick. I store my scoby in a smaller 11 liter container with a liter or two of kombucha.

I don't exactly know when the thought struck me but I started a new brew a week ago and at that time I dissected my old Scoby and salvaged just a small portion, about 6 to 7 inches across, and that fermentation ran to completion in just 4 days @ 80F. And, it is perfect! It also carbonated well in 2nd.

So, my thought is that the large scoby mass was starving the fermentation from much needed oxygen and this new small scoby leaves a lot of "open water" for the transfer of oxygen.

Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers!

My kombucha has been fermenting very slowly for the past 4-5 batches. I'll give this a try. Thanks for the info!

Yes this is true. Every couple of batches I peel off the top layer of scoby which usually becomes dark and discolored.
If you are using black tea, it will discolor very fast. If you are using green tea it will stay whitish and discolor more slowly.
Anyway I keep my scoby around a 1/2” to 1” thick. Seems to allow better fermentation.
You can keep the extra scoby. Google “scoby hotel” in case your batch ever becomes contaminated or moldy and you have to start over.

Yes this is true. Every couple of batches I peel off the top layer of scoby which usually becomes dark and discolored.
If you are using black tea, it will discolor very fast. If you are using green tea it will stay whitish and discolor more slowly.
Anyway I keep my scoby around a 1/2” to 1” thick. Seems to allow better fermentation.
You can keep the extra scoby. Google “scoby hotel” in case your batch ever becomes contaminated or moldy and you have to start over.

you can also eat the extra scoby or feed it to your dog or house plants as well!

Latest posts

Back