Can you dry hop in the keg while force carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I searched and didn't see any threads previously addressing this so...

Has anyone tried dry hopping in your corny keg while force carbing?

Does anyone see any issues with this method?

I'm brewing a Stone IPA clone and it calls for 2 weeks of dry hopping. I figured that would be a great time to do the "set it and forget it" method of force carbing but didn't know pros or cons of doing both at the same time. I would plan on just leaving the whole hops in the keg till it kicked.

All opinions are welcomed! Thanks

kapbrew13 said:
Probably could but keg may get clogged from hops.

They have the little stainless balls you can put them in or maybe a hop/grain sack. Whole hops in a grain bag float pretty well.

dallasdb said:
They have the little stainless balls you can put them in or maybe a hop/grain sack. Whole hops in a grain bag float pretty well.

That sounds good.

Its what I do, but I use a hopsack/muslin bag/paint strainer bag/new nude pantyhose etc. and tie a length of teflon tape to the bag and then lay it against the lip of the keg flat which doesn't interfere with the seal. Works great.

It's done all the time. Most will put the hops in a sack, with an optional marble or chunk of stainless. Some will tie a piece of dental floss to the sack and leave the floss sticking out the keg lid to be able to pull out the sack after the dry hopping is done. It seems that while a week of dry hopping at room temp gets most of the hop aroma/flavor, at keg temps it takes 2-3 weeks. I always take out the bag around that time frame, because some say leaving the hops in for longer will start to give a grassy flavor (others say they just sink the bag and leave it there the entire time w/ no grassy flavors detected).

I do this with all my IPAs. I just put an ounce or so of pellets in a hop bag with some random chunk of sanitized (washer, nut, ball bearing, whatever) SS, tie the bag off with some dental floss and chuck it in the keg. I tie off the dental floss so it is about 2/3rds deep in the corny, and it really works beautifully.

Its what I do, but I use a hopsack/muslin bag/paint strainer bag/new nude pantyhose etc. and tie a length of teflon tape to the bag and then lay it against the lip of the keg flat which doesn't interfere with the seal. Works great.

this is exactly what I do I use a fork, knife anything stainless in the hop sack to weigh it down.

I buy a 10 pair pack of cheap walmart stockings. pull one out, drop a few sanitized marbles in, add an oz of pellets, and just drop it in the corney.

bitmask said:
And then you get to play dress up with the other nine! :eek:

Yes...eek! And hopefully sanitized the stocking after you " pulled it out". Just messin'

I found with my corneys, I can tie a copper wire to the bottom of the pressure relief valve and hang a hop bag from that. Has worked a few times.

Toecutter said:
I buy a 10 pair pack of cheap walmart stockings. pull one out, drop a few sanitized marbles in, add an oz of pellets, and just drop it in the corney.

Do you sanitize the stocking?

This is how I dry hop in keg. I love dry hopping in keg for most fresh and delicate aroma so I modified couple of my kegs this way. I purchased coat hanger in hardware store and used epoxy to glue it in place on keg lid. You can tie knee high stockings to the hook and it can stay till keg is kicked. I only remove hops if I gelatine keg after. No messing with floss and leaking lids anymore for me

_MG_4112.jpg

_MG_4111.jpg

hillhousesawdustco said:
I do this with all my IPAs. I just put an ounce or so of pellets in a hop bag with some random chunk of sanitized (washer, nut, ball bearing, whatever) SS, tie the bag off.

When using pellets, do you find a lot of floaties from the pellets in your beer?

I've used pellets to dry hop in my secondary but I racked it into bottles after and left the trub, don't know if even in a hop bag if I will get residual in my beer when leaving it in the keg.

Thanks!

You can also put a SS hose clamp around the PRV post on the underside of the lid to hang wire or string to. Some hose clamps are not all SS look for the better ones, last time i was at HD they were all SS.

Back