Can You Brew It recipe for Deschutes Obsidian Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe I'm doing something worng... When I type in the recipe I get 58 ibu's using 1oz additions not 30 grams. Seeing that there is 28.35 grams per oz I'm only 1.65 grams (amount of maybe 1 pellet) short using 1oz additions. I'm no place close the 73 ibu's in the recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks

Just looked on Deschutes website. They list the ibu's at 55. The recipe posted is not correct.

The formulas for calculating IBUs are incorrect, you mean. CYBI uses Rager, you probably used Tinseth, Deschutes probably a spectrophotometer.

Brewed this Saturday with a few substitutions (basically swapped percentages of plack patent and roasted barley for what I had on hand and swapped flaked barley for carapils)...bubbling away madly. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thanks for the recipe...

I just brewed this today, and had to make a couple of substitutions. I used Chinook instead of Galena since I have a boatload of it available and I've read that they're interchangeable. I added 7 more grams to compensate for the Chinook being 10%AA and not 13%. I cut a pound off the 2-row and only used 1.25 pounds of black patent malt since I had less available than I thought. I also used marris otter since I buy it in bulk and didn't feel like buying domestic two-row instead. I figure a maltier, breadier base malt won't hurt a stout too much. I was able to get an OG of 1.068 and get the mash temp exactly at 149.

Wonderful recipe. Final pint after three months in the keg and it was delicious. Finished at 1.015 using a couple of sachets of rehydrated S-04.

Just kegged and carbed this up a few days ago. Anyone else found this beer to be a roast bomb? I love it, but as I've never had the original, I'm not sure if it's accurate...

I know it will calm down in the cold keg after a few weeks, but the character of the roast is almost resiny and finishes long on the pallet, nearly the way hops will come across from an IIPA. As I said, it tastes great and over the top which I love, but have I gone wrong somewhere? I used so4 and hit 1.070 OG and 1.017 FG.

I just tried this beer a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it. I'm surprised to see so much black malt in there but obviously all you people who tried the recipe have proven it correct.

The recipe posted has the correct ingredients...just a typo on the IBU's listed.

So is that to say that the correct IBUs will be around 60? That is what I get when I plug the ingredients into BeerTools. I'll be using different hops and different boil times, so I want to be sure I'm targetting the right levels.

I left this beer in the primary for two 10 days and then put it under pressure in the keg for a week. It is an awesome beer. It's rich, full-bodied and the flavors are a combination of a great espresso and dark chocolate. My final gravity was 1.018 and I'm really thankful for that residual sugar which added a nice touch of sweetness. I don't know if I'll be able to say how well it ages since it might be gone in a month.

So is that to say that the correct IBUs will be around 60? That is what I get when I plug the ingredients into BeerTools. I'll be using different hops and different boil times, so I want to be sure I'm targetting the right levels.

Not the point is that the listed IBU's are wrong but the amount of hops are correct. You can look up the IBU's on the Deschuttes brewery web site if you want. Just brew the recipe and you'll be golden!

Oh my....I think this is the best stout ever...certainly the best I've ever made. The bitterness is spot-on, nice rich flavor and mouthfeel. Lots of delicious stout-y flavors. I can't wait to see how it evolves over the next few months. Just wonderful. Mine had some slight adjustments as mentioned before, but VERY similar to the original recipe. Just as well, since we don't get Deschutes here anyway.

Has anyone tried oaking this recipe? How'd it come out? Or, how do you think it would come out? How about adding a touch of chocolate to it?
I obviously don't want to ruin an amazing stout, which I've heard this recipe can make, just wondering!
Thanks!

I think i actually prefered this one when it was really fresh and young, verus some age on it

I still have a number of 22 OZ bottles left from my August brew and it is incredible. IMHO this is a great beer fresh but really hits a new level at about the 9 month mark. The roast really comes true with a good coffee and chocolate notes. It is a great beer.

I will be brewing 12.5 G of this on the 23rd, 5 for keg and young drinking and the rest for 22 OZ bottles for next year.

I'm brewing this again tomorrow. It will be my 3rd go round with this recipe. I obviously like this recipe. they have all been incredible.

I'm doing a 12.5 G batch and have a 10 G igloo MT, so not room for all of the grains so I'm cold steep my dark grains. It is amazing the aroma of these grains, when they are all combined without the pale malt.

Has anyone else tried cold steeping?

I will be using the water from my steeping in my original mash water and then adding the dark grains to my last batch sparge. I will have 5 batch sparges to get the wort that i need.

90 min boil

WLP002 or Wyeast 1968. Ferment at 65F to start and increase to

11.9 lbs US 2-row

I'm planning on making this later this week. Could someone tell me what the end of the fermentation schedule is supposed to be?

I just racked this to a secondary today and took a sample.

SG: 1.061 (a little low)
TG: 1.016 (happy w/this!)

Had to post because this was a really tasty sample. I'm looking forward to getting this beer finished up and taste the final product.

Awesome stout...the best I've brewed yet and exactly what I'm looking for with the style. I think you'll be happy with it. Mine was 1.069-1.017, so not far off.

As for fermentation schedule in the post above, I went to about 68F and it turned out just fine.

I brewed this in mid-May, and have been drinking it for a couple of weeks.

It's delicious, I'm very happy with this beer. It has a rich, complex dark malt character that develops as you work your way down the glass. I've been thinking it could use a touch more roast character, but I think that is due to two things: when I got back from the LHBS it occurred to me that I may have come in a couple ounces short on the black malt (scale operator fail). Plus, I tried for the first time the add dark grains at vorlauf technique, and I suspect that that benefits from upping the quantities just a bit.

That said, a great beer, I am really enjoying it!

I'm brewing this again tomorrow. It will be my 3rd go round with this recipe. I obviously like this recipe. they have all been incredible.

I'm doing a 12.5 G batch and have a 10 G igloo MT, so not room for all of the grains so I'm cold steep my dark grains. It is amazing the aroma of these grains, when they are all combined without the pale malt.

Has anyone else tried cold steeping?

I will be using the water from my steeping in my original mash water and then adding the dark grains to my last batch sparge. I will have 5 batch sparges to get the wort that i need.

So I made this with the cold steeping back on June 22 and just drank it for the first time last night. Incredible! All of the coffee and chocolate flavor but without the astringency that comes from the black patent. I highly recommend trying this for yourself and I will be doing it again. Not only do I like what it did for the flavor and drink-ability, I also love the fact that it allowed me to produce more beer.

If you try it, I would love to hear about it.

Now the bottle bombs had nothing to do with the cold steeping but trying to bottle too soon and allowing my storage temperature :(to increase too high.

Just to confirm, this is approx:

72% 2-row (Mash at 149)
8% Black Patent (Cold Steep)
7% C-80 (Cold Steep)
4% Munich (Mash at 149)
4% Wheat (Mash at 149)
4% Carapils (Mash at 149)
1% Roasted Barley (Cold Steep)

...Is that true??

Also, I think if done right, you can tweak the recipe with added chocolate or coffee, etc. similar to the methods of the KBS clone.

How long is this kept in the primary? Thoughts on using WLP007 for more attenuation/lower FG?

Just to confirm, this is approx:

72% 2-row (Mash at 149)
8% Black Patent (Cold Steep)
7% C-80 (Cold Steep)
4% Munich (Mash at 149)
4% Wheat (Mash at 149)
4% Carapils (Mash at 149)
1% Roasted Barley (Cold Steep)

...Is that true??

Also, I think if done right, you can tweak the recipe with added chocolate or coffee, etc. similar to the methods of the KBS clone.

How long is this kept in the primary? Thoughts on using WLP007 for more attenuation/lower FG?

Here is a link to my recipe on Brewer's friend if you like:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/9037/obsidian-stout

I would stick with Wyeast 1968 on this. My attenuation was perfect. Obviously taste is subjective but a little body on this beer is terrific. I'll take 1.016 TG on this one every time.

FWIW - i just entered this in the fair today. We'll see how it does come Saturday.

Brewing this up today. The LBHS didn't have any Black Patent in stock so I made a judgment call and subbed Dingeman's Debittered Black 509L. I think I may lower the IBU's just a little to compensate. Also, going to go with Magnum, Fuggles, and Chinook for the hop additions (its what I have). The beer calc #'s are spot on for everything else. This should be a good one!

TriggerFingers said:
Brewing this up today. The LBHS didn't have any Black Patent in stock so I made a judgment call and subbed Dingeman's Debittered Black 509L. I think I may lower the IBU's just a little to compensate. Also, going to go with Magnum, Fuggles, and Chinook for the hop additions (its what I have). The beer calc #'s are spot on for everything else. This should be a good one!

It'll be a different beer but probably a good one still. With the debittered it should be really smooth and not as overtly roasty/ashy. That black patent plays a huge role in Obsidians flavor profile. Good call lowering the IBUs a touch.

Jesper,

So the brew day went well and I hit all my numbers. The grav sample tasted very smooth, but still has a very pleasant roast character (not as pronounced as with the BP). I think using magnum as the 90 min hop worked well with the Debittered Black Malt in this situation to offer the sense of a bit more bitterness, but in a very clean way. With the debittered black, I did not want to make a Black IPA. I let it go for a few weeks and then bottle and let you know how it works out!

TF

Sounds awesome. Love Magnum, can't go wrong with it. I'm curious to see if some first wort hopping would go well with the debittered black. If you end up liking it, I might have to brew up your variation and try the fwh.

So my gravity finished a few points high at 1.020, but no matter as the beer tastes absolutely spectacular! Should be carbed up next weekend and I can't wait to try it cold. I can kind of see how the debittered black really smooths this beer out. The final gravity sample had a nice roast to it, but not charred or burnt. Even though it was super smooth, it wasn't "thin" or "watery" like some smooth dark beers I have had in the past. One of the best beers I have ever made!

TF

So my gravity finished a few points high at 1.020, but no matter as the beer tastes absolutely spectacular! Should be carbed up next weekend and I can't wait to try it cold. I can kind of see how the debittered black really smooths this beer out. The final gravity sample had a nice roast to it, but not charred or burnt. Even though it was super smooth, it wasn't "thin" or "watery" like some smooth dark beers I have had in the past. One of the best beers I have ever made!

TF

I bet the 1.020 finish on this is pretty good - yum!

I just bought the ingredients for this and will brew it next weekend. Based on what you guys are saying I can't wait.

Back