Can wine (sangria) be pasteurized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjolin01

Reaction score
I made a fruit wine/sangria and bottled it. Had them on their side in wine rack and so far one bottle exploded and another shot its cork out. I am thinking the the yeast didn’t get killed off in my process. I am wondering if I can pasteurize the wine to prevent further bottle bombs? What would be best process?

You’re going to want to release the pressure. Pasteurizing as is will result in more pressure buildup and cause them to blow up in the process. You’re best off pouring them all back into a carboy and make sure they’re fermented dry and degas before going any further. Then stabilize and back sweeten if desired.

Sweet wine is generally clarified, stabilized with sorbate and sulfite, and then sweetened, with additional clarifying if needed.

Pasteurizing wine (with heat) isn't really a good option.

On that note, I haven’t used any stabilizers yet, as I’ve only bottled one batch. All my batches are sweet due to exceeding the abv of the yeast and letting it bulk age a bit to clear and make sure it’s stable.

Back