Can this keg be cleaned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susurro

Reaction score
I just got a keg in the mail and was going through an initial cleaning of it. After taking off the posts, I noticed a lot of corrosion or something around the threads the posts connect to (I'm not sure what the official name for these are). I proceeded to clean it with PBW but it did not affect the build up. Is there a way to remove this? Is it worth the effort? Am I going to just ruin the seal by trying to clean it up?

P1010897.JPG

P1010898.JPG

It is true that it won't touch the beer. Looking at them from beneath, it looks perfectly fine. I just worry that it will eventually give and I'll have a beer fountain on my hands. Is that a reasonable fear, or am I reading into it?

Put a smalll wire brush to that. Go from there to a stiff bristle brush. The rest is easy.

Looks like an adhesive to glue the top on can see some around the top and where the top was cut back with a razor blade IMHO. The sealing is done with o-ring at the top of post

beaksnbeer said:
Looks like an adhesive to glue the top on can see some around the top and where the top was cut back with a razor blade IMHO. The sealing is done with o-ring at the top of post

I agree. Some of mine look similar.

Get a stainless steel wire brush and have at it. I'd also pull the posts and replace the o-rings.

The rubber top on that keg was re glued back on. It must have fallen off sometime and the beverage company fixed it. I have a couple like that. You can tell by all the grey glue.

I've got all new o-rings for it. I'll give it a good scrubbing and put it all back together. As it's not my only empty keg right now, I'll pressurize it and let it sit for a while to make sure it holds up.

Back