Can Safale 04 Be Used For 5 Gal. Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Guy Brewing

Reaction score
I made the 5 gallon extract version of Biermuncher's Oktoberfast that was posted in the thread. I pitched Safale 04 yeast dry and my OG was 1.064 @ 74*. After 12 days in the primary it was 1.013 @ 70*. I thought that was a pretty amazing fermentation, 80% attenuation. I am now checking the package and it says Safale 04 is for 20-30 liters which by the conversion chart I am using, is 5.25 to 7.91 gallons. Should I not have used the entire package for a 5 gallon extract recipe? I am wondering if I should leave some out next time I use this yeast?

That 20-30L is for minimum yeast amounts. I use 2 11g packs which should be around 200billion cells. And yes Safale 04 FTW! That's the only dry yeast I use, it's got balls.

Looks from the numbers like it was just right. The us-04 and us-05 are outstanding yeasts. I've used both numerous times and one package per 5 gallon batch is ideal.

Thanks guys, I thought I had caused too much attenuation, maybe taken too much body out of it. I was afraid it would be too weak or light, however the hydro sample was good. I guess if I wanted a bit fuller bodied beer, I could hold back from pitching the whole package?

Thanks guys, I thought I had caused too much attenuation, maybe taken too much body out of it. I was afraid it would be too weak or light, however the hydro sample was good. I guess if I wanted a bit fuller bodied beer, I could hold back from pitching the whole package?

It's probably not a good idea to underpitch to adjust attenuation. It would be better to use a less attenuative yeast. If you use liquid yeasts there are more varieties than dry. East Coast Ale is a good one that's less attenuative. Also you could add some unfermentable sugar like carapils or dextrine malt to add body. If you really want to control body AG is the way to go.

+1 attenuation should be controlled by pitching a less attenuative strain like Danstar Windsor if you want a more malty beer. S-04 will attenuate fairly well, about 72-75% in my experience. You should always pitch plenty of yeast, aerate well, pitch cool, and ferment in the middle of the strain's recommended range.

I used S-04 on a AG batch of BM's OctoberFast and it turned out fantastic. 1.013 @ 70 would be 1.014 @ 60. Mine got down from 1.061 to 1.015, so right in the same area. Nice and malty with a clean finish, but I did mash at 156 for some more body.

Back