Can mold creep through airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
My last 8 or so batches all have the same slightly weird aftertaste and kind of spoil all those beers. I won't try to describe it as acidy, fatty, soapy or whatever because I simply don't know what it is. It's not strong, some people don't notice it and in IPAs it gets masked but it is noticable
I thought at first it was the yeast but it doesn't seem to be it and I somehow get the feeling that it must be some sort of infection.... which brings me to the topic of mold...

I had an unfortunate 'Teramisu spill' in my chest freezer earlier this year and even though I tried to clean it well and spray it with star san twice there still is some mold on the walls of the freezer after a while. I even had some on the ouside of the carboys a few times in summer. Now that the temperatures drop here in Spain also the mold lessens....
(see this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=540582&page=3)

But my question is whether that mold has the power to creep through the airlock and/or bung into my beer? I thought that impossible but with that weird taste persisting and not being able to find any obvious fault in fermentation or other part of the process it might be that.... Thinking about it I also noted, I think around the same time, that my batches started having a sort of oily film on the surface at bottling.
Neither this nor the aftertaste are really bothersome or very off putting but I always notice it now, creeping in at the end of every sip and it shouldn't be there.

So do you think it could be the mold or should I look for another culprit? some other place of infection maybe?

My beers have that slight film when I bottle but I never see it once I bottle, I figure it is left over krausen and floating bits. What hops are you using? Some can get that slight soapy taste from what I have read. I had a saison that had that taste for a week or so and it aged out. Give your beers some time and see if it goes away.

My beers have that slight film when I bottle but I never see it once I bottle, I figure it is left over krausen and floating bits. What hops are you using? Some can get that slight soapy taste from what I have read. I had a saison that had that taste for a week or so and it aged out. Give your beers some time and see if it goes away.

No, it's not from hops (many different hops and yeast in different beers) and it doesn't age out.

The mold in your freezer could be from excess humidity, an issue I had too. I bought an Eva Dry dehumidifier which has prevented mold since.

I had almost the exact problem. Some people could taste an off flavor and others couldn't.

I'll preface this by saying the odds of it being the same problem I had are pretty remote but...

After a fairly extensive search I found out that the elbow in my kettle was not getting 100% clean. Even though I pump 170-180 degree PBW through my kettle after each brew. I removed the elbow and when I shined a light inside I could see debris at the "top". Ever since then I remove the elbow between brews and make sure it's clean. Most of the time it isn't. I've had people say that nothing could live through the boil but I am absolutely certain that is what my problem was.

Fixed my problem.

doubt its mold if your fermentors are air tight. i had mold in my chest freezer and never had a batch contaminated. i got it under control by using bleach and then keeping silica in there to absorb any of the moisture.

The mold in your freezer could be from excess humidity, an issue I had too. I bought an Eva Dry dehumidifier which has prevented mold since.

Yes, I think too that it's humidity. I need to get one of those as well.

I had almost the exact problem. Some people could taste an off flavor and others couldn't.

I'll preface this by saying the odds of it being the same problem I had are pretty remote but...

After a fairly extensive search I found out that the elbow in my kettle was not getting 100% clean. Even though I pump 170-180 degree PBW through my kettle after each brew. I removed the elbow and when I shined a light inside I could see debris at the "top". Ever since then I remove the elbow between brews and make sure it's clean. Most of the time it isn't. I've had people say that nothing could live through the boil but I am absolutely certain that is what my problem was.

Fixed my problem.

Happy you got it fixed but I doubt it's the same in my case. I don't know what an elbow in the kettle is (could you elaborate?) but mine is just a regular cooking pot without anything inside.

doubt its mold if your fermentors are air tight. i had mold in my chest freezer and never had a batch contaminated. i got it under control by using bleach and then keeping silica in there to absorb any of the moisture.

I also doubt that it's the mold.
But anyway, I just brewed a small extract batch that I will leave outside the chamber cause it's cold enough now here in Barcelona and will see if that makes a difference. Will eliminate the factor of the chest freezer and any grain related issues.
I also left out irish moss but highly doubt that could be a factor....?

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back