Can it be used as a grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
set
So I was given a grain mill looking item that my grandfather in-law used to crush his grapes to make his wine. It looks like the metal "wheels" are adjustable. I'm thinking I can use this for both my wine and beer making... if I just adjust the size of the "crush". Does it matter that the metal wheels look more like padels then smooth...

I've been trying for a while now to figure out how to share photos on here. I loaded photos to facebook and tried loading it from there... nothing. I loaded the photos to shutterfly... still nothing... any ideas?

set
So I was given a grain mill looking item that my grandfather in-law used to crush his grapes to make his wine. It looks like the metal "wheels" are adjustable. I'm thinking I can use this for both my wine and beer making... if I just adjust the size of the "crush". Does it matter that the metal wheels look more like padels then smooth...

In a word, NO.

seems so close to the same... what makes it not possible? The mill wheels don't have the cutting arms on it... its just a constant wheel with paddles

I don't think it will mill the malt fine enough. You could find out pretty quick by just running some malt or even rice through it and see what happens. I'm not a wine maker, but from what I understand, the grape crusher is just that. It smashes the grapes and then they are put into a press to extract the juice. I could be completely wrong on this, but the ones I've seen would not work at all.

I don't think it will mill the malt fine enough. You could find out pretty quick by just running some malt or even rice through it and see what happens. I'm not a wine maker, but from what I understand, the grape crusher is just that. It smashes the grapes and then they are put into a press to extract the juice. I could be completely wrong on this, but the ones I've seen would not work at all.

Thank you, might look for replacement wheels and have them for what they are intended for... mine for wine and the new ones for beer.

The fruit (grape) crushers I have seen would not crush grain enough to make them useful for a brewer. Even if they did crush the grain they would probably allow more uncrushed grain to pass through than crushed grain. They are simply not designed for milling grain. They will do a dandy job of busting open your grapes or berries without cracking the seeds. They will also do a good job of making a nice juicy pulp out of apples, again, without molesting the seeds unnecessarily

Good Luck.

Back