Can I use bottle caps that were previously sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Can I use bottle caps that were previously sanitized, dried out, and stored away? Do I have to worry about the rubber seal being affected or infection if I resanitize? Thanks!

As long as they're dry, not rusty, or coming apart, I think they'd be ok. Idk about o2 barrier caps though. I dunk'em in Starsan one at a time as I use'em.

I wouldn't sweat it. I usually have a couple extras that I dry off and put back in the bag. I haven't done any kind of comparison, but I don't notice random oxidized bottles or anything.

You will prob be fine but why not just sanitize to be safe?

Oh I'm totally going to resanitize, I'm worried that a previous dunking into sanitizer and then not using the cap causing an issue in future bottling ^_^

Some don't thinking the sanitizer can cause the oxygen absorbing abilities to weaken if allowed to dry out and be restored. I have personally have used previously sanitized caps many times with no negative effects.

I almost always, without fail, have more caps soaked in sanitizer than I use on bottling day. I always just put 'em back away and pull them out when needed. Never had a problem with either regular or O2 absorbing caps.

I almost always, without fail, have more caps soaked in sanitizer than I use on bottling day. I always just put 'em back away and pull them out when needed. Never had a problem with either regular or O2 absorbing caps.

If I recall correctly - O2 caps, once wet and not used, are no longer O2 absorbing.

I've heard that too. It hasn't been my experience but it makes sense. I'd like to find out more.

Moisture activated - otherwise they would get used up from contact with air.

So sanitizing is not a good idea - keep them sealed up and use them dry. Otherwise save your money and buy regular caps.

I've sanitized too many caps, let them dry and used the on a later beer with no ill effects. I really wouldn't sweat the O2 thing unless it's something you are going to age for a long time or it's something special. RDWHAHB.

Back