can i use a...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptpeter

Reaction score
hey,

All of the other batches i've done i've used a glass carboy and right now i dont have any more carboys available, BUT i do have a used water cooler carboy/bottle. Now would that work if i cleaned it enough? or is it not worth it? any input would be awesome.

Peter

It's not adviseable but it's also possible. Those plastic carboys are oxygen permeable and can lead to staleing of your brew. If you're only going to use it for a 1 week primary, you might get away with it. I sure wouldn't use one for a 2 week secondary though.

Peter,
You get far more oxygen in a single transfer than you do sitting in a plastic bucket or carboy for a week or two. You won't be able to use the 5 gallon bottle for a primary unless you're doing 4 gallon batches or less due to kreusen. But you can buy a bottle of water from the grocery store, brew with it and use the plastic bottle a couple of times then return it for the deposit or for another bottle of water.

Good luck,
Wild

Back