Can I transfer wort 24 hrs after putting it into a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43North

43 Degrees North
Reaction score
I added my wort + yeast 20 hours ago but discovered the lid didn't screw on my carboy so I jammed it on. I haven't seen any bubbles yet and I suspect the co2 is leaving around the threads that are not sealing.

Can I rack this brew into a new carboy that I know does seal?

Nothing is going to happen to it where it is. Active fermentation (Alcohol/CO2 production) already has started or will soon.

Can you just rectify the lid, screwing it on the right way? Just (re-)sanitize any surfaces you touch or that need to be resealed. You can use a small clean wash cloth drenched in Starsan or Iodophor, then squeezed out so it isn't dripping wet anymore, to spot-sanitize surfaces that can't be dunked or sprayed down with it.

If that doesn't work, maybe post a picture of the problem area?

Personally, I think you'd risk more oxygen exposure and potential infection transferring than just letting it ride.

If it's fermenting healthily, does it really matter whether the CO2's leaving through the airlock or through the threads?

Thanks for all the great ideas,
Here's my fix.
I took the lid off a carboy of stout that was done fermenting a month ago, just chilling for the next few weeks b4 I bottle. Star San and Put that lid on the new BIG Milk Stout (SG 1.103) I brewed yesterday.

I've got 6" of foam on the top of the new brew at 67 degrees so I've opened a window (40 degrees outside) to cool my SPARE BEDROOM room down to 63 degrees to slow down the fermentation for the next four days, then I'll pop up to the 68-70 recommended range for a few weeks.

Thanks for all your help.

IMG_5387.JPG

I took the lid off a carboy of stout that was done fermenting a month ago, just chilling for the next few weeks b4 I bottle.
You should not leave that finished beer without a "lid" (carboy cap or stopper) for any length of time. Doing so increases the risk of oxidation and/or infection due to "stuff" dropping in.

Anyway, after a month of bulk conditioning, it's time to bottle that beer, don't you think?

Remove the cap that doesn't fit right. Place a piece of Saran Wrap or similar plastic over the opening and hold it onto the carboy with a rubber band. Poke a tiny hole with a pin or needle. Ignore it for a couple weeks, then bottle. It will be fine.

First, early on, a leak is not a negative since the gas is pushing out continuously. Second, I'm going to go against the crowd here. It wouldn't have been a big deal to transfer to a sound container as the gas would have built up quickly and minimized oxygenation. No reason to get too worked up about some air, in my opinion, unless you're opening a brewery in Germany.
Next, after reading your solution, if I have read it correctly, that's perfect.
As far as terminology is concerned, you'll absorb what you need when you need it.

We leave our carboys covered with a Star San drenched piece of Aluminum Foil or Paper Towels for the first few days of fermentation. We add a lid later.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If CO2 escapes the positive pressure will keep out any bugs and limit air ingress. Best to leave it where it is and find a fitting lid for the next batch.

I added my wort + yeast 20 hours ago but discovered the lid didn't screw on my carboy so I jammed it on. I haven't seen any bubbles yet and I suspect the co2 is leaving around the threads that are not sealing.

I never put the primary under an airlock. And because I use buckets, I will place a piece of clean bed sheet over it and tie it down with a bungee. After a week or so, I will rack into a carboy with stopper and airlock to let the process finish.

IMO you are fine. The fermentation will start to produce CO2, which will drive out an 02. Oxidation is a significant concern post fermentation as the beer de-gasses and is more willing to take on 02. IMO - at this point in the ferment, you could transfer, leave it covered with a cloth (for a few days), or re-seal.

Back