Can I still use the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg816am

Reaction score
Hello!
I was planning on brewing a Kolsch with a friend today, and in anticipation I took the Wyeast Kolsch yeast out and gave it a smack yesterday, and the pack fully inflated overnight. Today my friend let me know that he couldn't make it (hungover of all things!) and we are postponing the brew day to next weekend. Is my yeast safe if I put it back in the fridge until then? Or should I get some new yeast (I would have to order online, no homebrew shop really near me so really don't want to) I do have some Fast Pitch I was intending to use with it, will that save the day?
Thanks!

Screw the fast pitch! On brew day, after 10 min into the boil take out 1-1.5 quarts( I use a 2 qt mason jar) and chill in the freezer. pitch the pack , give it 4 hrs to overnite and pitch the whole vitality starter. I pitch that yeast at 55-57 and let it go to 60 by day 3 then 64 to finish, it' my house yeast.

Latest posts

Back