Can I split batch over two days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
To cut a long story short, I can only boil around 3 gallons at once right now, as I'm in temp accommodation.

I'm looking to do a 6gal all grain BIAB, but will need to split the boil over three batches to get the final six gallons.

My plan was to do one tonight and two tomorrow - and then pitch the yeast in the carboy tomorrow.

Would that work? It possible to leave new wort in a fermentor overnight without pitching?

Thanks in advance,
HW.

It can work, but I and others would not encourage it.

Fresh room temp wort is a perfect medium for bacteria/yeast. If left alone you could end up with a product that your not wanting.

In your situation I would make two batches, and if you needed to combine them, do so at kegging/bottling..

If they are the same recipe, this would be a great time to branch out and try a different yeast strain on the second batch. Or try dry hopping, adding oak, or other late additions.

To cut a long story short, I can only boil around 3 gallons at once right now, as I'm in temp accommodation.

I'm looking to do a 6gal all grain BIAB, but will need to split the boil over three batches to get the final six gallons.

My plan was to do one tonight and two tomorrow - and then pitch the yeast in the carboy tomorrow.

Would that work? It possible to leave new wort in a fermentor overnight without pitching?

Thanks in advance,
HW.

You can do this. It does slightly increase your risk of contamination, but if you are a sanitary brewer, this shouldn't worry you excesively. If you have any worries about the state of your fermenter, I recommend hitting it with bleach the day before, thoroughly rinsing it and following your regular sanitation procedure on brew day number 1.

Many brewers have to wait to pitch lagers because they can only chill with water to about 65 degrees and then they refrigerate over night before pitching so they can pitch around 50. I've never heard of this causing problems.

Two other ideas: You can pitch the yeast when your first batch is cool. Add the other wort when it is ready, you will have made a giant starter. The other possibility is to do an all grain partial boil. Make a higher gravity wort and top off with water. I routinely did this for 5 gallon batches using a 5 gallon pot.

Yes it will be fine. I do it all the time ("no chill" brewing). Better idea would be do pitch yeast when batch #1 is at pitch temps.
Commercial brewers also do it- my local brews one day, puts it in fermenter [it fills only half-way], adds yeast, brews on day#2 to fill fermenter.
Fermenter space is more valuable (more money/footprint, etc.) than your mash tun, because you mash a short period of time but ferment much longer. Jamil talks about it too.

Yes it will be fine. I do it all the time ("no chill" brewing). Better idea would be do pitch yeast when batch #1 is at pitch temps.
Commercial brewers also do it- my local brews one day, puts it in fermenter [it fills only half-way], adds yeast, brews on day#2 to fill fermenter.
Fermenter space is more valuable (more money/footprint, etc.) than your mash tun, because you mash a short period of time but ferment much longer. Jamil talks about it too.

This is a very good idea.

Back