Can I save this disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger68

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been out of the game a few months building my little brewery and man cave but last weekend I decided to do a cupboard clean out ready to start anew. This may cause you to giggle but made a stupid mistake.
Now the brew was a real mishmash so won't go into details. But I had some dry malt left over. Read the instructions and it said add to fermenter. Which I did. Directly after chill down of the malt. After engaging my brain I thought , hang on is this stuff sterilised. Hence this post.
Is this a lost cause? Or should I just dump it.
Thanks for any comments

If it was sealed, no problem. If it wasn't sealed, probably also no problem but might taste oxidised depending on how long it was laying around.

If it was sealed, no problem. If it wasn't sealed, probably also no problem but might taste oxidised depending on how long it was laying around.
Thankyou thats good to know. Actually I splitt the batch and used two different yeasts. 1 seemed ok and the other went mental and blew out within a day added more yeast to see whether it restarted.

Let ferment and see what happens, it may be ok, I wouldn't keep the beer around too long though, drink it up soon if it tastes ok.

Is this a lost cause? Or should I just dump it.
Why would you want to just dump it without finding out what it turns out like? Do you only own one fermenter?

Think of things that reside in your kitchen cabinets. A canister of sugar? Opened package of brown sugar? Better just dump them because they might harbor bacteria and make you sick, except that they don't because bacteria can't thrive on them. Bacteria also can't thrive on DME, another dry sugar. Your DME probably didn't contribute a substantial amount more bacteria than the air in your fermenter.

It 100% needs to be disposed of via friends armed with 16 oz (or larger) glasses... seriously, it should be no problem as far as bacteria is concerned but, it may taste funky depending on age and condition of the DME. If it taste really bad add some hop tea to it and call it an IPA...

Worst thing that could happen is that it makes something that tastes amazing that you can not replicate..!

Latest posts

Back