Can I reuse this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukez

Reaction score
So when I did my first batch of IPA a couple months ago I apparently visited a bad website on how to reuse yeast because it said to just put what's left after racking into plastic bottles and to just put it back into my new wort whenever I brew. So I did that, with the trub and all.
Tonight I'm having another brewing session so I figured I'd double check what I should do with this yeast. Well after reading up more I learned that I should have separated the yeast right away, and then made a starter yesterday!
So what are my options here? Can still brew, use the wort I make to make a yeast starter and pitch the yeast tomorrow? Can the wort sit for 24hrs without yeast?
Or can I just pitch the yeast/trub I have like the original website said?
Or can I go buy new yeast tomorrow and pitch it (again about 24 hrs later)?

Thanks

That's fine I think I can separate it, but will it be ok for the wort to sit 24hrs without yeast in my primary bucket w/ airlock?

To make a starter? You're pitching such a big culture already I wouldn't waste the time. If you were washing and seperating it into small cultures it would be necessary but don't stress.

But to answer your question about not pitching for 24 hours it would probably be fine as long as you're sanitizing thoroughly. Personally, I don't like to risk it. If I get into a situation where I didn't make a starter I usually keep some us-05 in my fridge. It's really versatile and works for almost everything so I don't have to worry about it.

ok i'll sanitize very well and buy some new yeast tomorrow, rather be safe than sorry.

Wait, I didn't read that as thoroughly as I thought! Sorry:cross:. I missed the length of time you've held on to the yeast. You're doing the right thing by wanting to make a starter. If you separated the yeast from the trub you could certainly make the starter today from what you've got and let it get going over night. Then pitch tomorrow. I have noticed some deterioration in quality over a couple generations FWIW. I don't really wash yeast and save it anymore but it's a great learning experience.

Back