Can I repitch yeast from the following batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrew1

Reaction score
Hey all. I screwed up while mashing. I got the temps too high. Thus, I have wort that just won't get down to reasonable FG's. It was my 5th batch. SG was 1.074, FG 1.034. I'm gonna bottle it anyway, see what's what. But can I repitch the yeast without ruining my next batch? All I brew so far is an amber ale anywhere from 6.0 to 6.5 ABV. Even with this screw up, the ABV should be 5.5%. The yeast would only be 2nd or 3rd generation, but I don't want to risk another batch unnecessarily. ANY input from seasoned veterans would be appreciated. I do have some dry US 05, but I prefer to repitch through 5 gens if possible. Recipe follows:
10 lbs pale 2 row
2.5 Munich light
1 crystal 40
.5 carapils

1.25 oz northern brewer (90 min)
.5 oz Sterling (10 min)
tsp Irish moss (20 min)

pitch slurry below 70 degrees. I use 9 lbs 2 row and 2 lbs Munich when using a new packet of dry yeast (always rehydrate). Ferment at 62 degrees F. I haven't had to toss a batch yet, but I look at it as a learning experience even if that is what is required. BTW, I love this sight. So many helpful posts. :drunk:

You should be able to reuse the yeast. The reason you didn't get a 1.010 to 1.012 was because of the unfermentable sugars created with the high mash temperature, not because the yeast wasn't healthy.
I would make a starter with the yeast before repitching. The higher alcohol content may have stressed the yeast.

I know you want to just repitch but with that high of SG I would harvest a small amount of the whitest yeast and grow a starter. What I do is make a 2 qt starter from vile or smack pack then pour 8 oz into a jelly jar and store in fridge, use the rest of the starter for a 1.040 or so beer, then pitch that cake onto a big beer. That way I always have a clean sample to make starters out of. I just don't know if each starter is a next generation or not.

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I determined was the cause of the problem. I'll give it a try regarding the yeast. And I'm gonna watch my mash temperature much more closely.

I think you're likely right on the mash temps and unfermentables, but I wanted to add that the last time this happened to me, it was actually that the yeast died. So I would def make a starter, or better yet a 1 gallon batch (don't make starters make beer!).

If it were me I would just save enough slurry in a mason jar for the next batch. I like to keep it simple. Not only because it's easy, but because it reduces the chance of contamination.

Latest posts

Back