Can I keep steel racking cane in fermenter during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you?

Having never done it; my guess is it's a bad idea . . . .

It's stainless steel, sonic it was clean when going in and you cap it you should be fine. However, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. It's gonna get all kinds of gunky.

I wouldn't do it. I know it is stainless, but there is stainless and there is stainless ...... confused! There are lots of alloys that are called Stainless Steel, but some of them can corode, or be attacked by acids. If the steel quality is poor, you might eventually get a metalic taste getting into your beers. Better safe than sorry.

You ever had a knife start to pit or get a little rust discoloration?

I can't imagine it fitting in there all the way! Mine would stick out the top for sure.

I can't say for sure that any harm would come, but I also see NO advantage to leaving it in there.

I'm in agreement with everybody else.... my answer borders somewhere between, "why?" and "I wouldn't"

Can you?

Yeah, size permitting.

Should you?

Not really. You could fill your fermenter with stainless steel knives and forks... but I don't know why you would.

My brewer's hardware sanke fermenter kit has the racking cane permanently installed as you say. I keep a little cap over the end of it outside the fermenter so nothing goes in. I will tell you the first time I used it on a Belgian wit, my krausen clogged the airlock, and I woke up with 11 gallons of Belgian wit all over my garage floor. Now I use a clamp to keep the cap on the racking cane, and only take off the blow off tube when I am almost at finishing gravity.

Latest posts

Back