Can I just never buy yeast again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Brew_Drunk

Reaction score
So I'm sure this has already been asked but I haven't found it yet. Can I just buy a vial of liquid yeast, say WLP001, and step up a starter twice as big as needed and just save the second half in the fridge till the next batch? It makes perfect sense in my head, and the saved portion should last just as long as a brand new vial, right? Freezing it will kill the cells I'd assume. I'd like to get into washing yeast after a batch / making starters regularly (Haven't done either yet) as to save ~$9.50 at my LHBS per batch. I'm still a little concerned about wild yeasts/contamination risks involved in washing yeast but I'm sure I'll get over it as soon as I read more on here about it. As per the title, I've heard yeast can remain healthy through about 25 batches +/- given proper washing technique so I'd be buying a new vial every 10-15 batches at the very least.

Thanks

That will definitely work, but I would keep your re-use down to about 8 or 9 generations. Mutations may start to become apparent after that.

I have 4 strains I use for all recipies. I haven't purchased yeast in about 6 months. I harvest from split staerters, not trhe cake so IMHO mutations are not likely to occur.

How do you know mutations haven't occured yet, then? There are many different mutations, but the ones most notable for home brewers are:
Loss of flocculation
Loss of ability to convert maltotriose
Petite Mutants

Petite mutants are respiratory deficient mutants, and as low as 1% petite mutants can lead to a noticeable diacetyl production. Saying that a yeast is good 8-9 generations is misleading, as yeast doesn't count its generations in amounts of brew, but through mitosis.

Only by using rigorous methods for continued yeast health will you be able to guarantee non-mutation. Get a cultivation kit and a microscope if you're serious about never buying yeast again.

Making slants is a good way to make your yeast go a long way and a long time. I haven't done it myself but I have read up on it here and I am seriously considering it.

I think the best way to get the most from your yeast is to split it up into very small volumes and step each of those up. I reuse cakes all the time and went about 10 generations on my last packet of US-05 without anything I could discern. YMMV, of course.

I've gotten in the habit of propagating all my new yeast purchases prior to using them. I make a 2 liter, stirred, starter with any new smack packs or vials. After completion, I split it into 3, sanitized, quart mason jars and end up with about a 3/8" thick, pure, yeast cake. I then use 2 of these for beer batches, using a starter, and the third gets propagated again. And I don't have to deal with trub, diluting, settling, etc.

The jars take up some room in the fridge. If space becomes a problem, I will decant the quart of beer, add some sterilized water and move into pint jars but that adds another step of possible contamination.

In short I'd respond with can you? Yes. Will it make great beer? Maybe. Depends on how vigilant you are about sanitation and sterilization. If you want to never buy yeast you'll need a lab setup complete with microscopes, culturing supplies, stir or shaker plates, etc. You can skip the lab, but you won't necessarily know if a bad batch was from your yeast or from your other processes.

For my money I'd go with dry yeast.

Never is a very absolute and polarizing word. Since you said you'd never even made a starter before, I will assume microscopes et al are beyond your current ambition and competence, as they are mine. You can keep reusing your yeast as long as you are satisfied with the results, although you'll only know you've gone a batch too far after the fact. Being exacting with your sanitation and keeping your yeast in low-stress environments will do much to extend the usable life of your yeast. there are cases where infections, genetic drift or mutations have changed the fermentation character in a positive manner, although I'm sure these are in the minority.

I guess it is all about what you want to do. Personally, I have never seen bad results from a dry yeast packet. At $1.69 per packet, I think I will stay with that. I have tried the wet vials and the smackpacks, but did not see/taste/smell any noticeable difference. For me, it is just not worth the extra expense or the time. With what I am paying for the rest of the ingredients for each batch of brew, the $1.69 is like spit in a hurricane. However, if you are really interested in yeast cultivation, maybe some better "tools" are more in line with where you want to be as well as better methods of cleaning/cultivating. Just my $1.69 . . . er, 2 cents . . .

I guess it is all about what you want to do. Personally, I have never seen bad results from a dry yeast packet. At $1.69 per packet, I think I will stay with that. I have tried the wet vials and the smackpacks, but did not see/taste/smell any noticeable difference. For me, it is just not worth the extra expense or the time.
i use dry whenever i can, i.e. recipes that don't feature the yeast. i use US-05 for all IPAs since the spotlight is on the hops and you want a neutral (AKA not prominent) yeast.

the problem with dry is the limited selection, and for certain styles of beer the complete absence of selection. i love belgians and dry yeast just doesn't cut it. there are claims that S-33 and T-58 can be used, but they don't work for me - meaning that i have to use liquid yeast. re-using yeast for a few generations helps keep the price down... plus it's an extra excuse to geek out and play with beer :ban:

If you reuse yeast then be ready to dump it if it is off in any way. My Pacman starter had an off smell and so I had to push that brew back a week while I get another one ready. Don't ever pitch suspect yeast.

Back