Can I just leave a fermentation 'stuck' ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
So - I am making an ICE CIDER. OG 1,135. With SafCider AS-02. I have done it before - but at room temp. ... needless to say, fermentation was on fire...

This time, it put it in the basement of our building. I gave it 24 hours at room temperature first though, and the fermentation was starting to pick-up, allthough not crazy-bubbly yet. It has been 3-4 days now, and I just wanted to check up on the batch. I starred down the airlock ... not a single bubble in several minutes. So - I guess it is stuck. The room is around 13-14C degrees. The Safcider yeast should work from 10-30C degrees. (though optimal temp. 18-25C degrees).

...Anyway, this is probably my batch number 10 this fall -- and I am getting a little tired of nursing all these carboys :) So I thought - just leave the damn thing alone ! It will probably pick up again whenever the yeast feels like it ...

Would that be an option ?

Its too cold. 8 degrees is a big swing. 18 degrees is its bottom effective temperature is what optimal means. It might pick back up in spring, who knows, but I would stow it in my coat closet and forget about it until spring.

Its too cold. 8 degrees is a big swing. 18 degrees is its bottom effective temperature is what optimal means. It might pick back up in spring, who knows, but I would stow it in my coat closet and forget about it until spring.
Already have a carboy in that closet 🤣🤣

Already have a carboy in that closet 🤣🤣
Also — read in wine makers magazine in an article by Betsy Parks about ice cider … that cold fermentation should be used for best results. Between 13-16 degrees…

Well then, it's really up to you if you read an article about it. Did she mention what yeast she used?
she said "any wine yeast will do" - "but be carefull with too aggressive champagne-yeast, since they are hard to stop"... but she didnt mention anything about 'getting stuck' :)

But, thinking about it now. The must in your carboy was ambient in your house for the first 24 hours, then took it to the basement which was much colder. So the temperature had to stabilize. Chances are its still going albeit slow. Thief a sample at the seven day mark and see what the current gravity is to confirm or deny the potential fear.

But, thinking about it now. The must in your carboy was ambient in your house for the first 24 hours, then took it to the basement which was much colder. So the temperature had to stabilize. Chances are its still going albeit slow. Thief a sample at the seven day mark and see what the current gravity is to confirm or deny the potential fear.
Will try that ... thx :)

I know this is cider, but for beer we'd tell you:

1) Be sure it's sealed, any leaks will allow fermentation CO2 to escape somewhere besides the airlock and can fool you
2) Take a gravity reading in case there's any chance it's basically finished and you're closer to your target final gravity
3) Taste it - if it tastes good, it's OK (but see #2 above in case you're WAY off)

Back