Can I dry hop after cold crashing for a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two pale ales that I have been cold crashing for a week now. A buddy gave me some fresh cascade cone hops that was thinking of just adding to the fermenters for another week while the beer stays at 40 F. I know it is better to add the hops at warmer temps for dry hopping but I would like to know if I will get some aroma if I use more hops and keep the beer at 40 F. I thought about pulling the fermenters out of the keezer and then let them warm up to room temp to add the hops for 5 days and then do another cold crash but this may be messing with the beer temp way too much.

You can. You won't get the same speed of dry hopping as you would at higher temps, but lots of people dry hop right in their kegs at serving temp.

Fwiw, many of us dry hop then cold crash in the fermenter, and then dry hop in cold dispensing kegs, leaving those hops in the keg until it kicks, with no hint of grassiness even after a month. So you can definitely dry hop after cold crashing, though if you're bottling, you'll likely need to cold crash a second time...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back