Can I double pitch instead of using a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungarian

Reaction score
I am new to brewing. Can I just use double the liquid yeast instead of a starter? Want to keep it simple the first few batches.

I was wondering the same thing. Some recipes on here call for two vials of yeast instead of a starter...

Yeah. 2 packs is about the right amount for 1.050 OG, and probably good enough up to 1.065 OG or so.

I did a starter for my first brew, and it was kind of a nice opportunity to get familiar with the stickiness of DME and mixing it up before I was in the throes of a full-on brew day, and served as a heads up that chilling even a small starter takes a fair bit of time.

But keeping things simple has its merits, too. Another option is to go with a beer that uses a good dry yeast (there are tons of good options that come out well with Safale US-05, for instance).

You shouldn't need to pitch dry and liqued together. The cell count in dry is enough by itself. Although people repitch with dry if there was a very long secendary and they want to make sure their bottles carb...

Back